Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Drove a 914/6 today..whats it worth??

I went out and looked at a 914/6 that was in the local paper. The car looked pretty nice from 20' away after close inspection it was pretty ratty plus it had a body kit on it. I did get to test drive the car and it was pretty fast but I was not impressed at all. The car was a factory 914/6 and he was asking 13.9 for it. To bring the car up to par it would need complete new interior including dash. carpets seats and headliner and minor bodywork and paint. Assuming it will pass a PPI what would you think this car may be worth. I hit the owner with 7k if..and only if it passed a PPI. Does the body kit depreciate the value of the car. I figured 4 or 5k into the car and it would be nice. What do you think? or should I just pass on it and find a nice car. I would be happy with a conversion with a bigger motor, almost prefer one as it would definately be faster.

Old 01-29-2002, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't know about CAL prices, but here in Texas, a guy I know bought an orig 6 that had been bumped up to a 2.7...has a decent paint job and interrior...and the motor is in good shape. He paid 10K if I remember correctly (about 1.5 years ago).

Dont know if that helps you any.

Tony
Old 01-29-2002, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
ASE Master Tech - 35 yrs

Garage
go buy a new mini; obviously you do not appreciate the vintage aspects of old cars; a real six is eligible for many vintage racing & show venues that you cannot purchase any other way; also, you cannot participate in PCA events & social life with that Mini
Old 01-29-2002, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i think one has to realize that an original 914-6 is, in my opinion, the "speedster of the 90's" (ok, ok, 02's). in total, there were only about 3300+ or - original -6's produced making it a relatively (!) rare car and prices for "rare Porsches" makes for a funny market. how about that "max Moritz" race car selling for $160K!!!!! (asking $160k) crazy isn't it.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

If you can get him well under $10K then it *might* be a good buy.

The body kit is a negative in most cases. Also keep in mind that the bodywork may have been done to cover accident damage (f/g panels are cheaper than properly-done steel bodywork.)

These cars are expensive to restore. Even if the mechanicals are flawless (doubt it), quality interior and body/paint work alone will run you several $thousand.

If there is any rust, think twice...no, about 4 or 5 times...before leaping into the project.

Very, very clean original factory /6's can be had in the $12-20K range so keep that in mind when adding up what it would realistically cost to bring this car up to snuff. It is WAY to easy to get upside-down into these cars (don't ask me how I know).
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 01-30-2002, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
And frankly, if you're looking for speed, the original Six isn't gonna thrill you. The 2.0 in the state of tune in the original Six was really quite anemic--equivalent to the least-powerful 911 motor ever built.

Original Sixes seem to have the most "value" as collector cars. In which case, non-original motors (which are more fun!) may devalue the car, and body kits very definitely will. Some are bought as "drivers", though, so non-original parts aren't such a liability.

A conversion car, on the other hand, is whatever the owner wants to make of it. Values will be all over the map, due to way too many factors to list. With a conversion car, there is no real downside to yanking out whatever motor is in there and bolting in a larger one--except the cost of the new motor.

BTW, Larry--I don't see why you're all over him. (Unless it's your car he's talking about...) He looked at a Six, doesn't think it's a great Six, and wonders what we think it's worth. Why does that disqualify him from 914 ownership?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-30-2002, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
If if doesn't *have* to be a 6, try a properly tuned or tweaked 2.0 FI 4 cylinder.

IME there are many crummy-running 4-cylinder cars and not a lot of dialed-in ones. Find a dialed-in one.

An "original" 2.0 4-cylinder 914 will handle better, shift better and be just about as fast as an "original" 914-6, for a lot less $$ and a lot less hassle.

Just my $.02.
1970 914-6 (sold)
1998 993 C2 S (sold)
Next Porsche?
Old 01-30-2002, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Bob & DD make good points there.

A 73 1.7 side-shifter car with a few suspension upgrades and a 2.2-2.7L six-cyl transplant will out-handle and out-run a factory six by a significant margin, for probably 25-50% less money.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 01-30-2002, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I've got both an original '71 914-6 and my '71 914-4 I've since new. They been upgraded with side shifters, etc and the 6 has had the engine "breathed" on ... maybe not as fast as some of the bigger engined fake 6's but you want that car for the SOUND! Nothing in the world sounds better than a 911 engine right behind your head. My modified 4 isn't much slower than the 6 but the sound isn't anything like the 6. You don't buy a 914 for comfort, etc- you get it for the fun and the sound...
Old 01-30-2002, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by larrym
go buy a new mini; obviously you do not appreciate the vintage aspects of old cars; a real six is eligible for many vintage racing & show venues that you cannot purchase any other way; also, you cannot participate in PCA events & social life with that Mini
Well LarryM my response to you is go get stuffed. I have owned a lot of classic and vintage cars and if I wanted an original 914/6 I would go and buy one. After owning a 911sc the stock 6 was a rather dissappointment in power. Its funny why are people with 911's wanting to trade for my mini. And if I wanted a new mini I would go buy one. Responses like yours are uncalled for and unwanted, if you dont have something relevant to my post keep youe ignorant comments to yourself.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Automahn

Well LarryM my response to you is go get stuffed. I have owned a lot of classic and vintage cars and if I wanted an original 914/6 I would go and buy one. After owning a 911sc the stock 6 was a rather dissappointment in power. Its funny why are people with 911's wanting to trade for my mini. And if I wanted a new mini I would go buy one. Responses like yours are uncalled for and unwanted, if you dont have something relevant to my post keep youe ignorant comments to yourself.

Automahn,

I recently looked at a 914/6 however as DD stated, I had higher expectations for the performance. Currently, my 912E is being completed, last time I checked the Engine/tranny rebuild invoice is approx $7,500 and rising. the 944s is next (upgrade camshaft, induction). As for the 914, this spring I am planning to purchase a pre '74, and having a stroker Type IV built (102mm P/C, 78.4 mm crank) as opposed to a 914/6. Though I am undecided on which 911 model I prefer, that decsion is at least 1-1.5 years away.

This just proves that some of us have a very deep passion for Porsche cars. I am frequently harrassed by my M3, NSX, and "ricer" friends. I've just developed thicker skin and tell them to park their non-Porsches down the street from my home.

I would throw out that $7k figure and "go for it", I am sure that once I complete the 914 project, I will probably regret not purchasing 914/6 for "some" of the reasons that Larry discribed.

Good Luck,

Bob
"Long Hoods Rule"
"RICE - The Breakfast of Champions"

Last edited by COLDBASS; 02-02-2002 at 08:53 AM..
Old 02-02-2002, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I think I ran onto the same car you did. Red with some kind of kit that I have never seen before. The guy is definately not a 914 enthusiast. He quoted me 20,000 at first and then said he would go down to 15,000. When I first walked up he said that some go for 150,000....................What? He must of seen the look on my face, I have been told it can get really animated. Need to fix that, it cost me a test drive.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

914-6

We're all assuming that it's an "original" 914-6 and not a conversion. Verify that the VIN begins with 914..... and not 47.... Also look at the plant of manufacture sticker. Is should NOT be the Karmann plant.

Old 02-21-2002, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: