Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
your average wrencher...

Garage
very noisey after rebuild

working on a 75 914 for a friend. it has the 2.0 and f/i and looks all stock. it has a super noisey valvetrain. pulled valve covers and found left side (drivers side) to have collapsed lifters? you can pull the rocker arm out and in. I pulled the rocker arms and shafts and pulled the pushrods and tubes to access the lifters. tested them and they have no pressure escept for the spring inside. also found ports in the rockers (where pushrod meets rocker to rocker shaft) plugged with junk.

thoughts on cleaning rocker arms and reinstalling everything? or are my lifters crap?

supposedly the whole engine was just rebuilt a few years back but only 2K on it since then.
1988 XJ 5in lift,long arms, 4.6 stroker, ax-15 w/ 35s
1995.5 Audi S6 Full RS2 bolt-ons, EFI tuned.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Best to buy new lifters, be sure to pump up lifters by submerging in new clean oil & compressing plunger until lifter is full of clean oil. The warmer the oil the better (up to 250 degrees). Pushrods should be cleaned & inspected for wear including rolling on a known flat & clean surface to see if they are bent. Check rockerarm pushrod contact area for unusual wear also.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sounds like they're hydraulic lifters and after a long time not running they have collapsed. You can pump them up by hand, I think by submerging them in oil and using a pushrod to shove the cup inside the lifter in and out. Eventually you'll get the air out.

Hydro lifters are not stock; were they added in the rebuild?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-10-2011, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
your average wrencher...

Garage
Dave - no entirely sure who did the rebuild...I didn't think they were stock either. it didn't make sense to have both hyd. lifters and the adjustment on the rocker arm.

tried to pump them up and nothing. they just won't do it. even took them apart to see if there was gunk in them, nada.

you guys still suggest the ceramic lifters?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
your average wrencher...

Garage
okay, getting a set of lifters and pushrods....the ones here on pelican (the only lifters and pushrods they sell), are they any good? or what do you guys suggest. I don't think the lady that owns the car will be happy with the $400 or so for the ceramic ones. Me personally, I'd buy them in a heartbeat, but that's from a mechanic's stand-point. I like stuff that WORKS!!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
By repute, at least, the ceramic lifters are the best.

I don't have any experience with the lifters we sell.

I'm not sure what to tell you on your current lifters.

I do know that using new lifters with a used cam is something of a gamble; it is not unknown for new lifters to eat a cam that has some wear. I don't know what sort of odds you face if you do this, however.

--DD

Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

your average wrencher...

Garage
cam lobes look perfect, no pitting or scoring on either the lobes or lifter faces. i just know that the hyd. lifters in this thing are trashed. I will be getting some from a reputable 914 builder (solid lifters and pushrods) and will clean all rocker arms of debris. new pushrod tube seals as well (vitons). may get the parts next week, after then, i'll post up some more.

thanks for your help Dave
Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Curious what sort of oil pressure the motor is making. Hyd Lifters need oil pressure to pump them up in the bore. If you said the push rods were full of gunk then I would be suspect of the rest of the motor.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
your average wrencher...

Garage
Joe - engine oil is super clean. it was the rocker arms that were full of debris, I litterally had to dig that crap out. I just don't think they were ever properly cleaned. the car mainly sits and is owned by an older lady which rarely drives the car. never driven hard, or by any grandkids or kids. (she made sure she mentioned that to me) could be BS, but she seems like an honest person. her not driving it probably killed the lifters and usually short trips as well, never got hot enough to circulate the oil properly. I will get an oil pressure reading when it goes back together and I'll see if I can get the R.O. of what and when all work was done, including parts.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Hydraulic Lifters -

Perhaps I am mistaken but weren't the later 914 style engines fitted with hydraulic lifters ? A older neighbor had a VW bus years ago with an automatic transmission and the 914 style FI engine. I remember helping him change the air filter through the access floor panel. Otherwise, it was never touched except for regular oil changes. After a front end collision they sold it off to a VW guy who immediately pieced it out. The motor only had about 30k miles and ran great.

Michael
Old 01-21-2011, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Nope, just the late (78+?) bus motors had them. No 914 ever had them from the factory

--DD

Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
your average wrencher...

Garage
well.....got my parts today and hope to install this afternoon. From EBS Racing.com: 8 malhe solid lifters and new set of pushrods to match. I also got new viton seals for the tubes and new valve cover gaskets. I will break in (i guess re-break in) the lifters to cam with some good brad penn 30W break in oil for 30 mins. then to change filter and oil with some more brad penn. Will let you guys know how it goes...
Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: