Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Alternator wiring for a race car question

Hello - I have a car with NO wire in it - The Alternator has 4 wires - One large Red going to the Starter - 3 smaller ( white, Brown, Green ) in one plug that would have gone to the relay/fuse board in the engine compartment behind the driver ( mine is gone)

Where do these wires GO ???? I need to figure this out soon -- The car has to have a master Kill switch on the dash - should the larger Red wire from the alternator run straight to kill switch.

The kill switch has a #2 cable to the battery ---- and a 12 foot #2 from the kill to the starter.

Also one more question - With the alt in the car can I tell if it has an internal or needs an external regulator ???? it is a 1973 2.0 liter .... thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
ASE Master Tech - 35 yrs

Garage
oem alternators all had external regulator - vw bus IR alternators have been fitted by some guys

red wire is your battery wire, joined at the starter - wire your battery cable thru the kill switch, and that will solve that issue

the 3-prong plug will simply plug directly into a stock regulator - no need for the relay plate

If it works, take it apart and find out Why.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would suggest checking with the organization you will be racing with about the location of where the kill switch has to go? Most groups want it to be readily accessible from outside the car with that triangular sticker that tells the fire/crash crew where to kill the power if you are upside down! As for the switch, buy the Bosch if they are still made or one with the large ceramic resistor which is used to kill off the power from the alternator, otherwise it will probably burn up since the switch is not like the ignition switch.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: