Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Visors? Anyone make them?

Does anyone know if new visors can be purchased for the 914? That dried-up hay they stuffed them with leaks puffs out all over the place. Do alot of 914 owners seek these new visors?
Old 04-22-1999, 03:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
That dried up hay is old broken down foam I think. The best idea I've heard (can't say I've done it, or even remember who suggested it) is to cut a small hole in the corner of the visor, extract as much foam as possible, then place the visor between two boards about an 1" (the thickness of a good visor) apart. Then inject "expanding insulation foam" into the hole. The two board must be decently thick and fixed so they don't move apart under the pressure of the foam. Too much foam MAY split the seams, I don't know. Too little, and you need to make another hole on the other side and start over. A note about that foam stuff... DO NOT get it on ANYTHING, it is insidious stuff. You get it on hands, it gets on the couch, the cat rolls into it then gets stuck to the dog, etc. If you are unfortunate enough to get it on your hands DO NOT use soap, water or even GOJO. Just makes it worse, and now it will NEVER dry. Let it dry, then peel it off, or use mineral spirits. This stuff is worse than "Liquid Nails"
Old 04-22-1999, 06:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

JP Noonan, I'll try it and let you know. Sounds like it will work. I think one should start with a small hole at each end so the displaced air can escape. When the foam comes out the other end the "mold" should be full.
Old 04-24-1999, 07:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Old 04-24-1999, 07:39 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: