Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

oil filter CHEAP?

I want to install a cheap oil filter I can toss after a short period.

I am reinstalling the engine and will be changing the oil in a week or two of running.

I would rather not waste a good filter on the startup.

Just looking for a fram, AC, STP I think you get the idea

Thanks

914-6 in the Werks
Old 03-04-2002, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

VA914, Let's see. You're breaking in a new or rebuilt engine that probably cost you quite a few dollars and you want to save a dollar or two by using a cheap filter? I would think you would want the very best filters during the initial break-in oil changes as these will see more metal and debris than during later running. That is why builders recommend oil changes at 25, 500, and 1000 miles or so. Just my opinion, but don't scrimp now. Good luck.

Mike
Old 03-04-2002, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I agree with you, however I didn't do a rebuild of the engine. I cleaned the oil cooler, replaced some seals and the engine had some nasty oil in it from the PO. A cheaper filter will do just fine for the start up.

Thanks

Kerry

914-6 in the Werks
Old 03-04-2002, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Used User

Go to your nationwide chain parts house and buy their house brand. It was made by one of the majors under contract and is more or less the same thing for less money. Sometimes there's 20-30% added in to a name brand product for just that, to advertise the name. Remember Split Fire spark plugs at $5 each?!!!! They were spending a ton of money on advertising and anyone who bought those suckers was paying for it. Now, very little advertising and they are what, half price?

But I agree about the scrimping. Five bucks to a wrenchhead is nothing when its your pride and joy in question.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

do you have trak auto in richmond? they have fram, a/c delco, pennzoil, probably bosch that fit a vw bus/vanagon (basically any type 4). anyway, these are about 4 bucks on sale, how cheap do you want to go?
Old 03-05-2002, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Don't cheap-out on the filter. Clean oil is very important to the long-term health of your 914. I use Mann and Mahle filters only in my 914, and did even before I started getting an "employee discount". I used to buy them by the dozen as "swap-meet specials"; some parts places would sell them in bulk for less at the local swap meets.

If you have to go for a more common filter, stay away from Fram at all costs. I think they're junk, after hearing a number of horror stories about them and also after reading the "mini mopar" oil filter study. I use Purolator in my non-914, and might use Wix in a pinch. Never ever Fram.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-05-2002, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

For the money I think Purolator is the best deal. If I cannot find those I generally pay the extra dollar for Mann or Bosch.

Still have a pile of old filters I need to cut open to inspect the internals on.

As everyine has reported stay away from FRAM and its store brand clones. You never know who makes most of the store brand stuff!
1948 Spartan Mansion 30' travel trailer
Old 03-05-2002, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

Read through the study this guy did on oil filters. There are plenty of inexpensive oil filters that do a good job at filtering oil.

Old 03-05-2002, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: