Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 Parts x-ref!

Is there a parts x-ref for the 914, ie what substitutes can be used in place of OE? The Lotus folks have this information on the web in various places, and it is very useful, especially as most Lotus parts are raided from other models.

I've been thinking of this recently and have seen that:

Volvo FI boots will work on 914 D-jet
Engine compartment seal is same as VW bug.
Energy suspension makes rear sway bar bushings that will fit.
Window winders same as bug.
Dash knobs and icon inserts same as bug (IIRC)
REar brake calipers from Ferrari (ha ha)
A bunch of parts shared with early 911.
Steering column switches, etc...

there were quite a few more that I can't remember at the moment. Anyway, If anyone is interested, please post here. I can amass this information and put together a x-ref for posterity. Ideally, if you know the OE part no, description, substitute part no, and any notes (ie model year, variations, whatever) that would get us going. Maybe PP could add it to this here 914 think tank somewheres if it weren't too much of a conflict with the parts business. Whaddaya think Wayne?

pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 03-05-2002, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

(i must have too much time on my hands but...) i made a data base of parts in an attempt to find the best prices on parts and found alot of common parts between vw, 914 ie; like you said, window winders, lots of seals, engine parts shared w/ vw bus.... i started the db on a Mac computer and, being computer disadvantaged and chronologically disadvantaged, haven't transferred it to pc format. collected part # for many parts and sources. also helps me shop at swap meets as i carry a print out and can tell what the part fits (of course as long as it is in db). found a 2.0L manifold pressure sensor at a vw meet that way for $15 which i thought was a good buy. also know what not to buy if a part won't fit cars of my interest. anyway, adding parts over a couple of years gave me a db of about 1000 entries (lots of duplicates because same part sourced from different vendors). i based my db on a 914 parts catalog, the one with diagrams of parts breakdowns of different systems ??? catagories??? (engine, brakes, transmission, ...). no crossover for other manufacturers though (volvo, ferrari, yugo, kia )
Old 03-05-2002, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Used User

This is not quite on the subject of the thread, but I have seen a CD for sale on Ebay and Recycler that lists every part # for every Porsche from 1950? to present. or so he claims. i was reluctent to buy it; anyone know of its credibility? It was $50. He also had shop manuals on CD. Haven't seen him recently, wonder if PCNA came down on him.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
This is WAY off topic but did yu know that the YUGO was an exact copy of the FIAT 128?

In the late 80's guys were pulling YUGO motors and dropping them in the back of the FIAT X1/9s.

Pretty crazy how many cars contain the same/interchangable parts.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The rear engine compartment seal might be the same as a Bug (not sure), but the front and sides are definitely different.

Lots of aftermarket companies make suspension bushings that will fit.

The Ferrari (308) calipers are different enough from the 914 ones that you wouldn't actually want to use them. The pistons are larger, which would alter your brake balance. More importantly, the bleeder is on the bottom as installed in the 914, so you'd never ever be able to get all the air out. Oh, one more point--the 308 guys used to snag all the 914-6 rear calipers they could find because Real Six calipers were so much cheaper than theirs....

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-05-2002, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Actually Dave,

I have a 75 Bug (L-Jet FI) and it has the same two engine tin/body seals in the engine bay as the 914.

The sides and front of car are the same J section and the rear of car piece is a 2-legged item. Can’t say if the lengths are the same (doubt it, the 914 is much larger around the perimeter than the teeny bug engine) but they sure look like the same profile section. If they are too short, they could merely be butted together, if one is not a purist.

Check out a West Coast Metric catalog…interesting reading…they are also on the web. with good details about their parts.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Wow, from reading ono the Rennlist I thought they were very different items indeed!

...Ya learn something new every day... Even when sometimes you're un-learning something...

--DD

Old 03-05-2002, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The rear seal on the 914 is different than the bug. The 914 seal has the same general layout( T shaped) ,however, and this is the tough part to explain, the bug seal has the sealing part 90 degrees to the mounting surface like a T. the 914 actually has a bend in it to lap down over the rear verticle sheet metal. I tried the bug seal, it left a sizable gap around the tin. Now, as far as the side and front seal are concerned...1967 and later bug rear seal is very close in profile and may work. You can pick bug seals up real cheap @ bug events. Quality sometimes suffers...

Happy sealing...

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 03-05-2002, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
More importantly, the bleeder is on the bottom as installed in the 914, so you'd never ever be able to get all the air out.
Oh yes you can. Unbolt the caliper & turn it upside down on the flexible. Piece of cake.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Zeke,
The CD you saw is most likely Porshe's very own Electronic Parts Catalogue, for some reason called "PET". Your friendly local Porsche dealer probably has it set up at his parts counter. It does indeed show parts from a 1950 356 thru 914's up to and including 2001 996's (at least version 5 does, anyhoo). You can search by part number, or get to a diagram of a general area and click on the part designator to get the p/n. The diagrams are line drawings, somewhat helpful in figuring out assy issues. Wonder if PP can get a hold of these for us...

Don't know about the shop manuals CD, if Porsche did the parts CD it's plausible that they put the shop manuals on one too. Shouldn't have been that hard to scan their microfiche versions onto a CD. Whatever way it was done, I'd like to hear more about it myself...
Old 03-05-2002, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Oh yes you can. Unbolt the caliper & turn it upside down on the flexible. Piece of cake.
Yeah, like I want to do that every time I bleed the system. Or want to pay through the nose for the parts in the first place...

Summersled, the PET is copyrighted by Porsche and they are not happy with anyone who makes copies and distributes them. The original even requires a specific piece of hardware to be plugged into the computer as another form of copy protection--but the ones that are available now have been "cracked". Pelican would be in a world of legal hurt if we tried to sell (or give away!) the PET CD.

Porsche isn't interested in making $30 at a time selling CDs. But they still own the material, so nobody else can legally distribute them either. Kinda sucks, but there it is...

--DD

Old 03-05-2002, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Dave, thanx for the heads up. Kinda figured that was the story on the parts CD. You'd think they might sell some MORE of their precious parts if us mere mortals had better information.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

On FI boots.....

\The 2 pin "boot" is Volvo # 943693
the 3/4 pin boot is M.B. # 000.546.13.35
To refurbish a complete harness you need six 2 pin boots, two 3/4 pin boots,
and the 5 pin boot for the throttle switch.

Hey, Jmcloud - how big is that d-base file? Maybe someone can spruce it up and we can get a x-ref built and out on the web for the 'teener community'.
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 03-06-2002, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

i figure there are about 1200 entries (don't flame me for "having too much time on my hands... i did this over a long amount of time). as i built up a project car, i entered items in the db. there are lots of duplicates, that is, there may be, for example, 5 entries for:

pressure sensor 0.280.100.043

which is a MPS for a 74-76 2.0L

an entry from PP (first on list), tweeks, AA , G&PR, automotion

you get the idea. kinda surprising how the price varies but you know how that goes. i have cheapskate running thru my veins (read scottish) so i was trying to find the least cost.

Old 03-07-2002, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: