Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

General 914 question

Do the Tach needles jump all over the place on all 914's? If I gun the engine and let off,my tach bounces. Is this normal?
Old 03-09-2002, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Not really.

That is, many of them do, but they don't have to. This is often a sign of points and/or condensor that are starting to go out. If that isn't the case, then something in the tach needs to be replaced (allegedly a ballast resistor) but I haven't a clue on how to do that...

Assuming you have dealt with the points:
You can try shopping for a used tach that doesn't bounce. They are out there, but lots do bounce. Or you can pay for someone to rebuild your tach. I think Pelican still does this, but you need to give them a call to make sure.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-09-2002, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
North Hollywood Speedometer does a lot of gauge rebuilding for Porsches if PP can't help you. I have heard good things about them, but they ain't cheap.

Before doing that, though... check every contact at the coil (IIRC the tach works off the voltage drop signal from one of the coil terminals) and check the terminals on the back of the tach itself. Even a little bit of crud could be interupting that signal and causing a poor reading. It would be a bummer to spend the bucks only to have it be something so very simple (I do that all the time!)
Old 03-10-2002, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
My tach has always bounced, it's on my list of the one million things that I'm eventually going to get fixed on my car....

DD said it's the "ballast resistor", I'd heard that it was a capacitor, etc. I spoke to a rebuilder at Palo Alto Speedometer last year, he told me that it was a mechanical brake (magnetic dash pot?). Whatever. All I know is that I have no idea of how to fix it. Pelican Parts has an instrument repair service you should check out.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: