Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine Out

I have got the engine out of the cara while some welding is being done. What are the smart things to R&R while it is sitting in the middle of my garage. I was thinking of doing pushrod tube seals but other than that, I am at a loss. Please let me know so I can order parts from PP in time to be done before the car gets home. (First time anyone but me has worked on Vroomhilda ) Thanks In Advance!!!
JB
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 03-10-2002, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Also a good time to adj the valves, replace oil cooler seals, check the clutch, take off the sheetmetal to clean any debris, replace the FI vacuum hoses and Gasoline hoses.

Also, a good time to paint the timing marks that are on the fan.
Old 03-11-2002, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Check your main seals to make sure you're not leaking oil onto the clutch. This would also be a good time to replace the oil cooler o-rings or at least tighten the nuts if necessary. It is said this can be done with some difficultly with the engine in the car, but its easy with it out. Check the fan housing and fan for oil and dirt buildup and clean if necessary to improve air flow. Like Jim said, paint the timing marks on the impeller and consider adding additional ones if you run non-stock timing.

Those are some things that need to be done to my engine.

Mike
Old 03-11-2002, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, when I had my first 914 motor out. I took it down to the pistons and replaced all of the seals and painted the sheet metal. This will give you more assurance later on and will familiarize you with how the motor works and is assembled. They are very easy.I would go buy an engine gasket set for $40.00 and go to town with it. Make sure you label all of the electrical wires and vacuum lines. This will save you a ton of time on this forum later on. It will also make your motor look clean and nice. It wouldn't hurt to do a compression test either. I always recommen getting the motor steam cleaned to get all of that 30+ year old grease off.I soaked my oil cooler in some solvent to clean up the fins also.If you do anything though, do the oil cooler seals, pushrod-tube seals, and clean the oil strainer. good luck
Old 03-11-2002, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: