Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lightbulb Supercharge?

I've heard many ideas and stories of supercharging a 914 type 4 engine, but unfortunately I have yet to see any examples! Does anyone know of any links to manufacturers who sell superchargers for VW's or even the 914 specifically? If not then does anyone have any Ideas on where to get one and what type to get? And lastly, I am rebuilding my engine right now and have not bought or modified my induction system yet...so what would the best set-up be? In my mind I would think of a single double barreled carb with the supercharger sitting on top, but I don't really know much about supercharging set-ups. Thanks!

~Steven
Old 03-13-2002, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Check out the shoptalkforums.com site, there has been some discussion on the Type4rum of supercharging a type IV engine. There is no kit available as far as I know, but there is a guy that goes by the handle Moggy who has a custom supercharged type IV beatle. He has stated that he will give you the plans for building your own, based on his system. But there is no pre-fab kit. Also you can check the archives here, you'll probably hear much of what I just said I'd wait to decide on a fuel supply system till I decide if you are going w/ a s/c or not. Good luck.

Nathan
'02 S6 Avant
'99.5 A4 2.8 / '65 Ducati Falcon 80
Old 03-14-2002, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
http://www.johnmaherracing.co.uk/intheworks.htm&e=42

Note that this is an upright conversion, not a "flat" cooling system as used in the 914! You can use an upright motor in a 914, but that will add to the cost and complexity.

Frankly, I don't see any really good place to run a belt big enough for a half-decent supercharger on a 914 motor with the stock cooling system. The A/C belt location (behind the fan) just doesn't seem wide enough to handle much of anything--I'm surprised it ran an air conditioner, frankly--and using the alternator belt runs you into the firewall in a hurry... So I think you're stuck going to an upright setup.

The good news is that most of the uprights cool better than our flat configuration!! The bad news is that they cost quite a bit and require case machining...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-14-2002, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What about a turbocharger? I've heard stories from both sides. Some people say that it will run too hot and kill the engine, but i also hear of people doing it! I talked to a guy who runs a shop around here and he said to mount the turbo right next to the tranny opposite of the starter. Then run a collector from the heat exchangers to the turbo and a strait pipe from the turbo to the back of the car. This seems to be a pretty easy installation and I don't see how it could heat things up too much.
~Thanks
Old 03-14-2002, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Turbocharging has been done at least four times that I have personally seen.

One, by Sammy G (who posts here sometimes), used a 2.0 motor with a flow-through side-draft single carb.

One, by Oerdith (who also posts here sometimes), uses a 2.0 motor with a highly modified 2.0 D-jet EFI setup.

One, by Ed V (who doesn't post here that I know of), used a 1910cc (1.7 big-bore) with a CIS setup from some kind of older Volvo or VW GTI.

One, by EJM (who also posts here sometimes), is a 1.8 with the turbo from an Audi 1.8T motor. Plus a truly amazing collection of CIS parts from a bunch of European makes--Volvo, Audi, VW, etc.

There were descriptions of Ed V's and EJM's setups posted on the Shoptalk Forums BBS, but I'm not sure what section. You could do a search there for "evill ed" to find Ed's.

A couple of pics of EJM's setup can be found here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/motorcity/davedarling/ecr_01/Friday_AM.html

One or two pics of Ed V's setup can be found here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/motorcity/davedarling/ecr_01/Poker_Run.html

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-15-2002, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have built them both. There are some examples on my website. Most of the time I build the enguine especially for the type of induction to be used and the customer completes the install of the charger. I have completed a few all the way, the engine needs much internal modification.
Old 03-15-2002, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i'm such a pack rat. got out an old copy of vw & porsche (aug 1990). there is an article about a 75 with a B&M 66cid Roots type blower on it. the company mentioned in the article is RPM German Autowerks out of Port Orange, FL. i would imagine the cost would be pretty exhorbitant but for the person that has to be different and has deep pockets it would be the ticket. that blower drive sound would turn some heads.
Old 03-16-2002, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ok, Right now I'm kinda leaning towards a turbocharger. What kind of engine life can I expect from a turbocharged 1.8L w/ a 2.0L crank and 96mm pistons (2.1L)? Also are there any pics or links to people who have supercharged their 914s? Thanks!

~Steven
Old 03-16-2002, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The design of the TIV cylinder head sucks for turbo use. They can be modified for Turbo use and power can be made, but it is not easy.Also cylinder sealing is a huge problem, going with a set of Biral or Nikisil cylinders from www.lnengineering.com is a sure way to keep things cool and sealed.

But the head problem is the most important as the exhaust ports of a TIV are very inadequate for spooling up a turbo.
Old 03-16-2002, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

So would you say that a supercharger would be a better way to go with stock heads? Or would both need some head work?

~Steven
Old 03-16-2002, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Every TIV performance engine needs head work. The stock ports suck, and just do not flow enough to make power bove 4500RPM, on a forced induction engine, the added airflow only helps if you can get it in and out of the chamber!
Old 03-16-2002, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have stock 1.8L heads right now. What things should I have done to them? Do they need different valves? How much porting needs to be done, that kind of stuff.

~Steven
Old 03-16-2002, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

what other maods are you doing to the engine???? the heads depend upon other mods for a good combination.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

- 2.0L crank and rods
- 96mm pistons
- SS 2.0L Heat exchangers to collector (to supertrap if not turbo)
- Mild cam
- modified L-jettronic fuelinjection if I go w/ turbocharger
- Holley four barrel if I go with supercharger
- Duel 40 IDF webbers if I go normally asperated

Right now its a toss up between the last three. I'm trying to get the pros and cons of each to see if it is feesible at this point. Also, what kind of an engine life can I expect from each?
Old 03-16-2002, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: