Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dell Jetting

I have searched both here and at Type4rum...
Does anyone know a good starting point for jetting and such for 40 DRLA Dell's? Right now it seems that what came in them is totally out of whack!!! I got them for Italy off of a Maserati I believe, to replace the grmelin ridden L-Jet. They were a little dirty looking but now that I have rebuilt them they look awesome. Have not put them on the car yet though. Also, anyone know of a place in Fla that stocks parts for the Dells? I know CB does but that is on the Left Coast.
Thanks
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 03-14-2002, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

HELP!!!!!
Old 03-15-2002, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Lightbulb

JB:

I'm having a heck of a time posting, but here goes... I don't my 40s or the Dell Tech Book near me, but I "think" the 40s issued by CB came with 34 venturis, 140 mains, 60 idles, 180 air correctors, and some fairly small accel. pump jets - like 35s...

Something like what they issued will get it running, but may not be optimal for your motor. What size is it anyway (rhetorical Q) - that will have an influence. My swap meet special 40s with the above configuration fired up just fine on a 2055, but they did take some further tweaking on the idles and pump jets to get dialed in...

As they say, YMMV, but hope that helps. Can't help ya on an East Coast Dell parts source - CB is just too close to Los Angeles...
Old 03-15-2002, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well, I bit the bullet tonight and called CB. They are sending me a bunch of parts that they recommended sizes on. I will post what they are when they get here. The lady rattled them off too fast for me to remember. Jake said to trust them for a starting point so at least that is a good reference. I hope this works...this stuff ain't cheap!!! The jets and vents and stuff cost almost half as much as the carbs cost me originally!!!

Anyone have an opinion on the size velocity stack to use?
Old 03-15-2002, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Lightbulb

JB:

re: the velocity stacks - just run whatever size is listed in the CB Perf. catalog or on the website. I "think" that they are the same size for the 36/40 DRLAs, the 45/48s carry a different listing.

I know what you mean about the parts - the 40s i refer to came w/o velocity stacks, air cleaners, etc., pretty much got skinned alive on all that stuff. Get the Dell tech book too while you're at it - it's a bit tough to wade through at times (the spellcheck misspellings are "interesting"); but it will get you going in the right direction...

Hope that helps!
Old 03-18-2002, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I ended up ordering the Super Tall Velocity stacks. I just hope they fit under the decklid!!!
Old 03-18-2002, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Red face

Ummmmmmm...

I don't know if they will, sir. I had to remove the drip tray just to get the crankcase vent fittings & hoses I fabbed to clear on the 36s I've got on a '73 1.7L. I will someday probably just notch the tray and JB Weld some fitted pieces to it - not real pleased having to cover the motor everytime it rains - PITA on a daily driver. You doin' the show Bug "deck lid-less" thing here or what???

Good luck and all, but I'm betting you'll be sending them back. I can take a stab at measuring the distance from air cleaner base to the lid, but I can tell you right now there is not much more room to the lid running the 3.25" or 3.5" tall filter elements with the vent hose fittings on top. Anyone else want to weigh in on this one, and help out JB?

-jph
Old 03-19-2002, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: