Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I learned something today.....

Hey, did you know that the hood badges are made of Brass? I thought they'd be made up of some kind of pot metal or something. I have a hood badge that was about to get pitched, I couldn't have got a buck on Ebay for it if I paid for the shipping! Well I'm the 'psycho' that likes to polish stuff, and I appearantly have more time than money, so I figured what could it hurt, I need a little therapy anyway (meaning, polishing w/a beer or three, could be therapeutic;-). So I got to sippin' the Budlight, crankin' the tunes, polishing the 'badge' and thinking of all the productive things I "could" be doing to the '73 right now.
All of the scratches were coming out nicely, and by the time I got to beer #3 (2000 grit) the thing looked like glass! So, since I decided I could be a keeper, I gave it three coats of clear laquer. I saved $40.00 + shipping, got a little buzz on and ended up with a great looking hood badge (IMO, of course). I just wish I had a better camera, you get what you pay for. (No pun intended!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badge 4.jpg (6.7 KB, 361 views)

'73 914
'75 914
Old 03-15-2002, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You would have made a great sailor

After 20 years in the Navy as a Gunners Mate I know a thing or two about both of your favorite vices. Polishing bright work and drinking beer. Both are theraputec
So did you polish out the paint and redo it or just the leave it and go carefully around it. Some badges are brass. the one that was on my 928 was crap. So I will get another one after the beast gets painted.

"SHIPS OF STEEL GUNS OF BRASS U.S. NAVY PROTECTS YOUR GAS!"
Old 03-15-2002, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Actually, I used a small block of wood and kept all of the sanding/polishing to the raised surfaces. The red and black areas are some kind of colored acrylic stuff, and were not only scratched and dull, but were quite uneven when I started the 'session'. It really only took about 30 minutes to finish, but I'm (also Ex-navy ['80-'84]) a fast drinker if the beer is cold and the radio's playing the right songs

'73 914
'75 914
Old 03-15-2002, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

To help with "polishing" I gutted a refrigerator and installed a CO2 tank attached to a 15 gallon can of Bud Light. If you break down the cost it comes out to 21 cents a beer! If anyone passes through South Florida, stop by my garage for a cold one.
Old 03-15-2002, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That settles it. I need to scrounge some parts from the local pic a part, so I'm going to find a hood badge on the cheap. And about the beer, I've got two 5gal soda kegs in my spare fridge, one just got emptied and the other has my latest batch of homebrewed oatmeal stout in it. Guess I need to brew up a new batch to fill the empty one. Mabey an american pale ale.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yeah, Oatmeal Stout! A personal favorite of mine! But Pale Ale (any kind really) is good too. Oh man, I'm getting the urge polish something!

'73 914
'75 914
Old 03-18-2002, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: