Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Eduardo Castrejón Elbjorn
914-6 engine mount

Hi,
I already have a 3.2 engine, then I need all the stuff to make the conversion.
I already saw the conversion article.

Do the oem 914-6 engine mount fits on a 3.2 case ?, I ask this because I know that 2.0-2.7 are short block case and my engine 3.0-3.6 is longblock.
How difficult is to make one ?, looks easy.

regards
EDuardo
Old 03-15-2002, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I think you're getting two different things confused, Eduardo.

In "car parts" terms, a "long block" is usually an engine that is complete, from exhaust header to intake manifold. "Short block" refers to an engine without the manifolds, without a good bit of the "anciliary" equipment (distributor, water pump, etc.) and possibly without cylinder heads. (These are mostly used in the V8 world, hence the reference to weird obscure parts like water pumps.)

As far as I know, all of the air-cooled 911s are the same external length. I believe that your 3.2 motor should bolt right up to your Six engine mount, as long as there are holes in the right place in the engine case.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-15-2002, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Dave:

Thanks to clarify this.

I always believe that the 3.0-3.6 case have other dimensions than the older aluminium and magnesium case.

Then all the external dimensions are the same.
So, I can use a 2.4 weber manifolds in my engine. ?

I don´t have a engine mount, that the reason of the question, because I want one.

I´m sure about this: (In the v8 world)
Shortblock and longblock cases are diferent dimensions
shortblock= 302,350
longblock = 427,454,etc (big cubic inches)
In the v8 world to tell that the engine don´t have heads manifolds, distribuitors,etc is 1/2 motor and if have heads is 3/4 motor.

thanks and regards

Eduardo

Last edited by Eduardo Castrejón Elbjorn; 03-15-2002 at 12:37 PM..
Old 03-15-2002, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think you mean big block and small block, which actually refers to the block size, unlike long block and short block, which as Dave notes refers to the relative amount of money invested.
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 03-15-2002, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

DDS:

Yes, is true

I need to improve my english terminology.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2002, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When I installed a 3.2 in my car, I used the Rich Johnson Bulk head engine mount available from Pelican. The trick is that the nose cone for a 3.2 is different than those of an SC and other engines. Therefore, be sure to specify the an engine mount for a 3.2. I have a core 3.2 nose cone if needed.

You will also need an cone type air filter and an extension for the engine wiring harness to the relay board.

Also, if the DME FI is to be used, the tranny will need to be nothched. Additionally, the flywheel will need to be modified.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: