Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kunz
Question Oil Temp Sump Plate Leaking - RTV

Hey...

Trying to finally get my oil temp. sump plate to stop leaking. First attempt to do this with a new o-ring going in dry failed....leaks alot!

I bought a new o-ring. Now the question is whether or not to use any RTV to make a better seal?

Would appreciate any tips!

Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-15-2002, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

IMHO don't use RTV unless you have too. Too much chance that a piece might come off and block up something important. Try it without the RTV. Make sure you don't overtighten the bolt!!! If your is not torqueing down it could be that you case has the "syndrome". Good luck!!!!
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 03-15-2002, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I do not recommend RTV. Dow makes a clear Silicon Paste. Much better (though expensive)
Old 03-16-2002, 12:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
"The syndrome" deals with the center sump plate, where the oil pickup is. This is the left-front one, where the oil temp sender is.

There is a paper gasket that goes between the cover plate and the temp sender plate. A new O-ring with clean sealing surfaces (and then a little engine oil), and new crush washers for the bolts.

That's what I used; no problems so far.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-16-2002, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks everyone!

Dave....was wondering on that one as well, since I too thought the "syndrome" was the center - strainer - plate. I assume we are talking about over-torquing as the syndrome?

Now back to the temp sender plate....I don't recall ever having seen the paper gasket as being available. I know that when I replaced the o-ring the first time, I didn't replace the paper gasket as it had fallen apart. So, that could be it...

Does Pelican have these ?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-16-2002, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sorry...all I saw was "sump plate" and I made an assumption...you know what happens when people assume...
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 03-16-2002, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Use loctite 518 gasket eliminator on that puppy and make sure you use new copper crush gaskets around those 6mm small bolts.

make 100% sure that all oil is off of the parts, no sealer works with oil contaminated parts.

The syndrome is a term I came up with referring to the center sump bolt that has been over tightened, resulting in a broken web in the case, this does not pertain to the plate in question in your case.
Old 03-16-2002, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, Jake.

But do I need the paper gasket or just forget about it?

Mike
Old 03-17-2002, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I toss the paper gasket and use 518 between the 2 plates also. this can be a source for a leak, by it's self. do not put 518 on threads, it is thread locker as well!
Old 03-17-2002, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

What about good old Permetex 3H? It seems like this stuff is good everywhere

Kerry

914-6 in the Werks
Old 03-17-2002, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

3H is my least favorite sealer..The 518 is good for most anything where you want zero leakege possibilities. Otherwise I like curil T, K2 and Hylomar.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Jake, I thought in the bug me video you used Permatex just about everywhere? It seemed like you were big fan of that stuff.

914-6 in the Werks
Old 03-17-2002, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

When we did the video, I was in the mddle of testing a couple of new sealants. Since then I have pretty much stopped using permatex aviation, it is easy to use, thats why I was such an advocate of it in the video, for the pure novice.

I like the German sealants because they never totally dry, and are easy to clean up if you gotta take it back apart.
Old 03-17-2002, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: