Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Proper way to mount sport tranny mounts?

I am about to put the engine in and I remember scary stories about peoples engines falling out with the sport mounts if installed incorrectly...I think I have it right but I wanted to get a verification...is this the right way?

Thanks guys,

Tony
Old 03-16-2002, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Looks right to me! At least, I think I can see one of the BIG washers between the nut on the bottom and the mounting ear...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

Last edited by Dave at Pelican Parts; 03-18-2002 at 03:39 PM..
Old 03-16-2002, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yep...I actually didn't have those big washers at first...but they are for sure there now...

good...one less thing to worry about :P

Tony
Old 03-16-2002, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to RichMason
Are those 911 "sport" engine mounts or 914 "sport" transmission mounts (or both)?
Old 03-18-2002, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I just put sport mounts in, and it noticably improved my shifting. The only thing I noticed was that I think they are a little shorter so I had to add washers to keep my muffler from hitting the valence.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
Yep, I had to shim my sport mounts a tad when I experienced the same valence clearance problem after installing my new TRIAD West Performance exhaust.

The previous Monza system (yuck) hung a tad lower, ergo no problem, but as soon as I swapped the unnotched valence with a double-notched unit, the TRIAD clanked (!) against the valence during install.

Some filing and (eventually) shimming the mounts took care of that!

Old 03-18-2002, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If shimming the sport mounts is required, where shoud the shim washers be placed? Between the mounts and the body?

Rouser, How is the Triad muffler working out? Is it loud or boomy or have any bad resonance? Any performance benefits? I once had a Monza. That thing had to go! I now have a Mittlemotor muffler and I think its pretty nice.

Also, if you have dual outlets does that mean you're using a fiberglass valance? Or did you cut a steel one?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-19-2002, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I ended up putting 2 thick 1/2" mil spec washers bettween the bottom of the sport mount and the top of the tranny arm. That dropped it ~1/4" at the tail pipe.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
After owning a modified (for T-IV, by PO) banana-type sport muffler (let's talk noisy), a Monza (HELLO?!), and listening to a friend's Bursch (eh ... OK, not bad), I'm praying that THIS muffler HAS to be a cut above.

I finished the ends (muffler doesn't come chromed or anything) with some Pilot SS exhaust tips; I'm trying real hard NOT to get the "rice" look! I used a spare steel valence panel (parts cars are neat!) and sabre-sawed a duplicate right-notch.

I'm currently doing so much work (pedal cluster, upgrades, mods, patches, cables, rotors, etc.) on my 914 that I haven't even HEARD it yet! This was a leap-of-faith purchase, based SOLEY on David Said's (of TRIAD) WORD that "It'll have a nice 911-isc sound; throatier, and WAY better than that POS Monza."

If I was going the purist route, I might've seriously considered the Mittlemotor option. But this is my play toy, and I wanted it to not only sound good, but "look serious" back there too.

Once the car touches the ground, I'll take some pics.

Last edited by Rouser; 03-19-2002 at 01:01 PM..
Old 03-19-2002, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Dman and Rouser, Thanks for the info.

Good luck with the Triad, Rouser. I had looked at it, talked to Triad and did consider it. I'd still like to try one myself.

By the way, I previously used a Bursch for several years. I think it is a reasonable alternative to stock, especially for the price. The sound level is not bad in my opinion. I know a lot of people can't stand them, but I am satisfied with the service I got from mine.

Mike
Old 03-20-2002, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I'm in the mist of installing a set of sport mounts and was wondering if the stock mushroom washers should be used top and bottom?

It seems to me that these washers are what allow the rubber in mount to absorb vibration and omission of one or both would give more of a "solid mount" type feel.

The top washer is a no brainer but it appears flipping the bottom washer upside down and trimming as required to clear mounting lug on transmission would do two things..........allow sport mount to absorb vibration and give added clearance some of you have experienced with respect to muffler/valance contact.

John
Old 07-04-2002, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: