Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What a DUNDER Head

I know you guys ain't going to believe this one. My son and I rebuilt the carbs on the teener. The seats were bad and over flowing gas.
Anyway things were going great, fired the motor right up. Whipped out the synch tool and dialed them 44 IDF's like a pro. Hey lets go for a spin, got down the block and all of a sudden bang, bing! BANG!! BANG!!! UH OH??? This was the death sound comming from the motor. Seems one of us lost track of one wavy washer. Ya know it got through the intake valve real good.

Upon further review and motor pull, head Pulled off it was/is real ugly!!! Found three pieces of the wavy washer stuck in the head squish section numerous dents throughout the combustion chamber. Then there is the piston Major dents whole surface and one good one along the edge. Nothing got past the rings.
So how screwed am I, I know I can fix the head But what about the forged 94MM Euro piston? Cylinder wall is perfect.
Old 03-17-2002, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Wow Joe, that is not the best of news At least it did not eat the whole motor. Sounds like you can just get one "new" piston and keep on truckin as long as you can fix the head. Man, this is making me have second thoughts on my carb conversion.
Let us know what you decide!!!
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 03-17-2002, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
good excuse for new 96MM

Well it is just money and time. I can always make more money. But it is getting to be spring time which goes so quickly.

So who has a line on some 96MM pistons and Cylinders. I seem to recall they are slip in?
Old 03-18-2002, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
If it were me, well I'm a cheap bastard, I would use a ball-peen hammer to smooth down any sharp cuts in the piston and head to avoid pre-ignition and then just keep going until next winter.

up to you, most certainly NOT the ideal solution but like I said I'm a cheap bastard. Well actually I'm a Irish redneck from Ohio, but call it as you will...
Old 03-18-2002, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I can also agree with JP when the need arises but it has also bit me in the butt. If this happens to be a route you are considering, check the piston for free movement on the rod, check for free movement of the rings, and check for cracks on the underside of the crown and pin bosses. A dremel tool works great for smoothing out the sharp edges. Is this the right way, I'll leave that up to the person making there own decisions on their engine, but it has gotten me by until I was ready to buy a set of pistons and cylinders.
Old 03-19-2002, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: