Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rusty Love

Well, I found someone I think can fix my teener... I had the problematic rust formation on the passengers side and a little on the drivers side. We have made it this far as of yet. The welding is supposed to start tomorrow. Any advice of anything I should tell my welding guy? By the way, if anyone needs parts in Melbourne Florida, this guy keeps a lot of stuff in stock. (Not trying to take away from PP, it's just that sometimes you need something NOW and can't wait a week for shipping). His shop is called Southern Bug in Rockledge Florida. Anyway, check out the pics...
This is the before, I pulled the motor and towed it to his shop like this.

This is the after he started cutting. He did alot on the other side too.
This is the first time anyone else has touched my teener. It is very sad for me!!!!

Wish me luck!!!
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 03-17-2002, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
My GOD ...

Luck AND prayer ... my parts car doesn't even look that bad! 'Scuse me, suh ... I feel a touch of da vapors ...

You've definately got to document this surgery pic by pic, if just to submit it to "Faces Of Death".

Old 03-18-2002, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Cool

OK DSPTurtle,

I'm confused. I went to college (and worked) in Melbourne. Rockledge is about 10- 15 miles north of that and is sometimes unofficially called South Cocoa. There used to be a guy just south of Melbourne on US 1 (in Palm Bay or Valkaria) whose specialty seemed to be welding two halves of a 914 together. He would buy two wrecks, a front total and a rear total and would produce a complete car from them. Saw 2 or 3 of those while I lived down there. Wonder if it was the same guy?

Hmmmmmm......This means the next time I send my wife down to visit her Mom, she has a stop to make and a new cary-on item to bring back. Think fenders fit under an airline seat?

Darn- I miss my rocket launches. Also miss my house a half a block from the beach. No, wait a minute, I remember washing the salt spray from my windshield every morning........Maybe I don't miss the house near the beach that much. My 914 would be a red stain on the driveway.

Ken Wales
Old 03-18-2002, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hell, mine was worse than that....

and $500 later and a 6 pack of beer, my local wrench fixed every speck of rust on mine. My passenger floor pan was gone, front trunk had a hole big enough for an elephant to step through and the battery tray and general area was history. Turn the heat down low, tack and test the fit and weld her up. Do yourself a favor, follow up with POR15, best $40 I ever spent!
2013 Panamera
2004 Boxster
Old 03-18-2002, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
do you mind asking him how much to put in a Brad Muier kit?
Old 03-18-2002, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Do you have any specks on the kit? Any pics or anything so he can get a handle on what it means. It seems that most of the work is in removing the rust, is that kit just a "doubler"?
Old 03-18-2002, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

lets see a show of hands for those of us who's first 914 looked like this. my hand first. when i was in colledge my roomate wrecked 2 64 356's in the span of 3 months one in the front and the other the back. university porsche audi in seattle cut them in half and put them back together.

ps when you get done spring for the optima battery. most of the "fixed" car pictures in this forum have them.

Last edited by Kevin Powers; 03-18-2002 at 07:14 PM..
Old 03-18-2002, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Hey Kevin, that's where I test drove 914's years ago at Unversity Porsche Audi, across the street from Freeway VW.
Are you going to attend the PNWest meet in Portland that is in May?
Got a pic of your ride?
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 03-18-2002, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

i should have presentable picture in a month or so. my car is in my garage with everything removed for a respray. i'm going back to the color that it was 30 years ago. irish green, very attractive.porsche's version of brittish racing green.going to do the rocker covers, some early painted bumpers,and a smooth top that i have in the same color too. then a full polish on some appearance group 5 spokes that i have.they are sort of like rivieras without the raised boss in the spokes and just about the same offset fact. fuchs.if all is done i plan on going to ore. it would be cool to have everyone in b.c. and western wa hook up at a common rest stop and cruise together. a nice long line of 14's and 6's.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sounds like those "appearance group five-spokes" are simply very early Rivieras. They're not factory wheels--which doesn't make them any less cool, the early Rivs are pretty rare!

The Brad Mayeur kit can be installed simply as a doubler, or in place of the current longitudinals. If you don't cut out and neutralize the rust in your current longs, then the Mayeur kit is simply a patch that someone will have to re-do some years down the road... Even if you use POR-15, you'll eventually have a nifty hollow shell of epoxy shaped just like a longitudinal repair piece, with no metal inside of it...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-19-2002, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Okay guys... here is where I am at now. This guy did a great job!!! The intensity of the flash kinda "overshows" the repair. All in all, I have a new inner and outer lower firewall, a new rear half floorpan and a new inner wheelhouse. He also had to rebuild the longitudinal from the firewall back to the suspension console. There was a lot off freehand work and it looks great. The whole thing was shot with rubberized black paint after it was ospho'ed and POR-15'd. He would call me everyday to let me know how many punds of rust had fallen out of the longitudinal that day. Now I just have to figure out how to get the motor back in the car and running
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weld3.jpg (59.5 KB, 417 views)
Old 03-29-2002, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: