Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Porshce Club

MY MEMBER SHIP HAS EXPIRED TO THE PORSCHE CLUB AND IM NOT SURE IF I WANT TO RENEW. FOR $42 A YEAR I CAN GET AT LEAST TWO NEW MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTIONS THAT ARE MORE INTERESTING, AND I HAVE PLENTY OF AUTOCROSSING THRU SCCA. CAN ANYONE TALKING ME INTO KEEPING MY LOYALTY TO THE PORSCHE CLUB?
Old 03-18-2002, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Because ya gotta race

At least that is my ambition as soon as I can keep my teener on the road for more than a week.
I want one full power run say 5th gear all it can take for a minute. If I blow it up it wasn't any good anyway. there is a track called "No Problem Race way" some how I got the bug and it has infested my garage. two floor jacks motor stand, metric tools by the ton. Parts by the box. I swear the UPS man stops at least once week.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

IHMO, PCA is what you make of it. For me, I like the stuff we do, autocrossing, PCA Racing, DEs, Rally, Meetings, Tours, dinners, etc. Of course, I am the Area Director for Western SC, so I schedule the fun things that interest the group.

Bottom line, it can be much more than a magazine you receive every month.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Great question! I have been thinking about rejoining. The silence of this usually vocal bb deafening . Or is that simply the answer?
Old 03-18-2002, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest and because ya gotta race

I've been in the PCA for about a year now and our San Diego Region is an extremely active one. Lot's of AutoX, DEs and we are even hosting a cup race in May. The support from the members is great and the current administration is committed to finding/getting/creating as much track time as possible.

That having been said, what are you looking for out of your membership? If all you do is peruse the magazines, well maybe the $42 is better spent elsewhere.

I joined to drive, bottom line. Since then I have made new friends that share my obsession for these quirky, infuriating and completely endearing little cars. I have learned more about my own skills (or lack of them!) what I need to learn to improve and how I can improve my own mechanical skills.

Like Smoke says, membership is what you make of it.

(I avoid the dinners though. The politics give me the willies.)
Old 03-18-2002, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hmm... my region does not seem to be as into "tracktime" as I would like. It is more about dinners and get togethers. My biggest complaint is that they schedule events at the same time as our local SCCA Autox. There is no way I would skip some track time to go to a lunch or something. But maybe that is just me....
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 03-18-2002, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

While I thoroughly enjoy the virtual comraderie of this BBS, my local PCA chapter contains just as diverse a cross-section of characters and cars that I can appreciate in person, not thru a keyboard. They also rent out real race tracks that I can actually drive. I wouldn't have bought a Porsche in the first place were it not for the driving outlets the club offers. If you regard your PCA membership as no more than a subscription to Pano, you are ignoring a hugh opportunity for fun with like-minded car fanatics (OK, and a few kooks too). PARTICIPATE!
Old 03-18-2002, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I think the PCA experience and the SCCA experience are both contingent on your local chapter.

If you do not have a nearby track with a road course, the chapter may not be into racing, and more about social gatherings.

Years, ago, I belonged to a chapter in another region that could turn ANY parking lot into a autocross event! I enjoyed that almost as much as lapping at Laguna Seca last year.
Old 03-19-2002, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: