Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

CA Smog Law and Webers

I have a 73 914 with a strong 1.7 engine. It has two Webers. It is smog-test exempt in California. Today I looked at a 74 914 with a tired 2.0, fuel injected. My question is: Can you replace the Fuel Injection with Webers and keep it legal in CA? Will the DMV make the 74 models exempt next year? Have you heard any credible rumors?
Old 03-18-2002, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
The 74 will be exempt soon....as to tossing on the webbers. All it does it irritate the motor. No gain in horse power, the gas mileage takes a dump. You need to split the case and replace the cam to get any more HP....

Do a search and you will see TONS of comments on the swap.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

In CA it used to be that cars went exempt at 25 years. I think they froze it at '73. A '74 would be 27 years old. Anybody?
Old 03-18-2002, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
When they changed the law to exmpt 73s from 1966 they added a 30 year exemption that starts in 2004....thus 74s are exempt in 2004...75s in 2005....
Old 03-18-2002, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Thanks for the clarification on that, Mike. I go to all kinds of car events and that one issue is really misunderstood by most.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
No problem.....the liberals have been trying to repeal that portion of the law. But it never gets out of the committee for a full vote. They have tacked it onto various bills. Looks like it might make it to actually start exempting cars....

Matter of fact, when they originally changed the smog exemption to the 73s, they WANTED to have a rolling 25 year exemption...but in the spirit of compromise they watered it down. They have been trying to change it ever since. Cross your fingers if you own a 74 or 75.....

Last edited by Joe Bob; 03-19-2002 at 05:50 AM..
Old 03-19-2002, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Trust me, I am crossing my fingers...

--DD (who has a 74 2.0 and can hardly wait until 2004... When I may put on an aftermarket EFI that runs cleaner than stock but would still get me tagged as a "GROSS POLLUTER" if I used it now...)

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-19-2002, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
Converting a 1.7 or 2.0 to Webers as opposed to keeping the FI and getting it to work right is probably the most-repeated topic here on the 914 PPBB. While I'm a strong proponent of keeping the FI, I'm going to write up as unbiased a pro/con web page as I can on the topic so that we can refer people to it.

One thing that I hear often is that conversion to Webers is cheaper than keeping the FI and fixing it - I don't believe it. If you're buying new parts, a twin 40IDF conversion with everything you need (fuel pump, pressure regulator, linkage kit, manifolds, carbs, seals, etc.) will run you a minimum of $750 from what I've seen on the web. If you already have FI on the car, you can get a rebuilt ECU for about $250, rebuilt MPS for $250, new TPS for $100, new head temp sensor for $20, new trigger contact points for $75, new intake boots for $20, various seals for another $20, and get your injectors cleaned for about $25. Total is about $760, or the same price as the Weber conversion. I'm assuming here that your air temp sensor is OK, wiring harness is OK, fuel pump is OK, and that you can fix your aux air regulator if it is sticking. Add in new hoses for a few more bucks and you've almost completely refurbished your FI system. And that's assuming that ALL of those parts are bad - which is unlikely. If you go with good used parts, the cost is far less (also true for the Weber conversion, but used Webers are often in poor condition and need lots of TLC).

Brad Anders
Old 03-19-2002, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I went and did it, and made a web page discussing the D-Jet vs. carbs issue:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/carbs.htm

I tried to make it unbiased, but it comes off strongly pro-FI. I can't help it! FI is better for most appliations, it's hard to make the case for carbs.

Regardless, take a look and please feel free to offer critique. If you can make a good case for why you think I'm wrong about a specific point, or offer some additional factors either way, let me know and I'll modify the page and credit you with the inputs.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
My FI almost works well, and I would like to rebuild it correctly. The reason carbs are tempting is, I understand those! I don't understand FI with all the extra electrical stuff.

I could re-build and tweak carbs myself. FI, I am at th epoint where I have to pay someone to diagnose.

To me, that is the biggest difference.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I just read Brad's webpage on the superiority of FI over Webers (Dellortos seem to be out of production now). Very good. And yet I keep coming across experienced people who swear by good old carburators. Yesterday I took my newly acquired 73 1.7L to a local Porsche shop for a "post-purchase" inspection which, if I were any wiser, should have been a "pre-purchase" inspection. (To my relief he found very little rust and none in the usual or critical regions).
Anyway, this guy, the shop owner, has raced 914s and 911s in California and has been around Porsches for a long time. He told me that 914s were designed to be driven. Since a 73 is smog-test exempt, he suggested that I install a 2.0 engine, and throw away all that "fuel injection garbage" and get me a couple of manly 44 Webers. They are much simpler than FI and torque is much better as long as one learns appropriate racing technique. For example, I am already learning to rev up the engine to about 3000 rpm before releasing the clutch on first.

By the way, where can I find information on that aftermarket EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection)? Also I couldnt find that Web page on how to maintain DFI.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Murpor--
I just read your post on environmental-friendly options for 914's (i.e CNG or electric). Now you are talking about your mechanic's recommendation to ditch the factory FI equipment in favor of some over-sized Weber 44's. A well-maintained FI system and well-tuned engine will produce far less pollution by far.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I didn't get the idea from murpor's post that he agreed with his mechanic! Seemed like he was mocking him ("manly 44 Webers" and practicing 3000 rpm 1st gear starts)
Old 03-21-2002, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: