Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Does CB Performance's Weber IDF Update Kit work?

Does anyone have any experience/opinions about this? I run 44 IDFs and have low compression, so have always had a problem with bogging down at low RPM (<2000).

From CB Performance's web page:

Weber IDF Update Kit

Power up your Weber's with CB's new IDF Update Kit. You'll get increased torque, acceleration, and more top end with this all new energy package. The IDF Update Kit features horizontal spray bars that replace standard bulls eye secondary venturi to produce improved atomization through the power band. Longer taper flow main venturi to improve airflow and special calibration are also included. Each Weber Update Kit also includes a complete gasket and O-ring kit. It's not black magic, just another example of CB's creative engineering and dedication to true performance.

IDF Update Kits are available to fit 40 and 44mm Weber IDF Carburetors. Each kit is designed to convert two carburetors to fast track horizontal spray bar discharge. This is a straightforward parts replacement installation. Machining, drilling, or altering of the carburetors is not required. If you can get your tool box open, you can quickly pump up your horsepower with this 'easy to install' kit.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2002, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
No direct experience, but several people who have installed it in their carb'ed 914s have said that it made a noticeable difference. Not sure how much of that difference was the "placebo effect", AKA your wallet is lighter so the car must be faster... But I haven't heard any real downsides to it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-19-2002, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
Well, it sounds good. You didn't say what displacement you have or what cam you're running, but 44's are a pretty big venturi for most non-track 914 applications. Getting good punch at under 2000 rpm is tough because with the large venturi, the air flow speed is pretty low and fuel atomization is poor. Anything that improves the low-velocity atomization will probably produce better low RPM performance.

What's the progression circuit like on IDF's? It's been so long since I had carbs I've forgotten. Does an IDF has a series of progression holes above the throttle plate like other Webers for off-idle transition? Those usually work pretty well because the air velocity near the partially open throttle plate is high enough to get decent atomization. Or is that type of progression only on the DCOE?
Old 03-19-2002, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
44IDF

Great carb for the guy who keeps the motor at a good head of steam all the time. absolutely wild over 3000 RPM. I have these carbs on my 2.0L teener. Euro pistons Big Web cam .500 lift 300 duration dual valve springs lightened flywheel 14 lbs. Port matched and polished heads, removed casting flash in manifolds. Bursch exhaust. No interior, fiberglass bumpers, Corbeau Forza seats.
When it runs it is pretty impressive. (is it possible to wear out a 13 MM wrench)?
Old 03-20-2002, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Im running a 2.0L with high lift weber cam (cant remember which one), and standard valves. Ive dropped down to 32mm vents and have jetted the things to just about optimum settings. I wish I had 40s, but picked these up complete and fairly new for $100, so couldnt turn it down. Ive wondered if my carbs are too big and end up sort of flooding the engine at lower RPMs.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

FYI: Help from CB

One of the helpful guys at CB replied to my question with this:

The Update kits will not help engine power below 2000RPM. they do show a remarkable improvement above 2400RPM. Carburetors require air flow to mix the fuel and air. Your down size in venturis accomplished this at low RPM. Dual carbs are not the best answer to developing power below 2000RPM.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: