Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Leaking rear caliper

My left rear brake caliper is starting to leak, so it looks like it is time for a rebuild. I will of course do both sides. For those that have dealt with this repair, is there any problem getting parts?
Old 03-20-2002, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just had OTTO put on some rebuilt exchange rear calipers. He said that the caliper kits that you buy from vendors don't have the two special "O" rings for the emergency brake portion of the rear caliper. He had the calipers in stock, put them on while I waited(went to tour Venice Beach) and had me out in two hours!!
Old 03-20-2002, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have the same problem... A while ago I got a spare set of calipers, which I am currently rebuilding. My rebuild kits come from GPR and cost $20.00 per caliper. I was promised that they would include all the o rings and the rings to seal the caliper halves...
email me after the next weekend and I will be able to give you some first hand experience with the kit and the rebuilding procedure...

German Parts & Restoration
202 Tank Farm Rd #5
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
800 321-5432
USA
805-549-8994
FAX
805-549-8525
Outside USA
http://www.********.com/
Old 03-20-2002, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Check the Tech Article

This question comes up so often I wrote a tech article for it. Wayne was good enough to add it to the Tech and Repair Articles section here on the PP site.

And GPR has the complete set. The kit that PP offers currently doesn't have the brake fluid caliper half seals nor the 2 seals for the adjuster screws. Those seals are added aftermarket by GPR (and others) and are not Porsche approved products.

The trip to Venice Beach would be worth it, though!

Last edited by HMeeder; 03-20-2002 at 08:31 PM..
Old 03-20-2002, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You might try asking the Sales guys here at Pelican. I heard a couple of months back that we were going to be getting the extra seals to complete the kit--so it wouldn't hurt to ask!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-21-2002, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The tech article is good and helped me a lot starting this project. Especially the inner caliper halve is more complex and the detailed explenations are very helpful. I could take some pics if someone would be interested in adding those to the article...

Patrick Koch
Old 03-21-2002, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ws91420 Send a message via Yahoo to ws91420
Hey you can get rebuilt calipers fairly cheaply (around $100) from A-1 Cardone available at alot of part stores
Old 03-21-2002, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Make sure that GPR sends you the right parts. I was promised a set with all of the seals for $18.95 a piece. When I finally recieved them they only had the piston seals and boots.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
This is a follow up...
A couple of days ago I received the rebuild kits from GRP. They appeared to be original ATE kits, and they were complete, but it is possible that the critical o-rings were added to the kit and therefore are not original ATE parts...
I finished my first caliper last night. Together with the information from the PP tech article it was an easy job. Cost for a pair of rear calipers: $40.00 (rebuild kits) $30.00 (pads)

Patrick Koch
Old 03-27-2002, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: