Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Pelican Parts Can bumperette studs be renewed?

Has anyone ever renewed the 73-74 bumperette studs/bolts? My studs are rusted clean off, but the rubber itself is in fine shape. Iím thinking I could just pull out the remnants of the old stud, drill a new hole, and epoxy in a new stainless steel bolt. The whole operation should take 10 minutes and Iíll save a pair of otherwise perfectly good bumperettes. Any thoughts in this? Any threads on this I missed in my search?
Old 03-22-2002, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Why not? sounds like the thing to do.

I saw your pics in the thread on front trunk rust. I may have you beat as far as rust goes, I'll have to check. I, too, sometimes have to say " I love to weld, I love to cut, I love to fit........"
Old 03-22-2002, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I had the same problem with mine. There is a metal plate in the back of the bumperette (sp?) under the rubber. The studs are welded to this plate. I ground off the broken studs, and then drilled a pilot hole in the center of the old stud. I then attached them with self tapping metal screws and washers through the existing holes in the bumper. They have been on (and Off) the bumper for more than 12 years without any problems.

Hope it helps,
Ed
Old 03-22-2002, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The easiest way to fix them is to get ahold of someone with a stud welder. Stud welding is fast, clean and doesn't damage the rubber. Basically it looks kind of like a hand drill (gun) and a threaded stud is inserted into the gun. At the end of the stud is a very small point that melts when the trigger is pulled on the gun. You would locate the stud on the end of the broken piece
and pull the trigger. Tip: grind the broken or rusted piece smooth and level with the rubber.

I use to own a manufacturing company and had one of these. There is no setups envolved, the studs are available in all types of materials, sizes etc. Takes less than a second to weld, and does a very clean job.

Cheers!
JIm
Old 03-23-2002, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: