Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Eduardo Castrejón Elbjorn
914/6 rear brakes

What parts I need to convert my 914/4 to 914/6 rear brake system ?

Only the calipers and rotors ?
Do the rotors are the same size as the 914/4 ?

I know that the rear 914/6 rotors are solid and have the 5 lug but the rear calipers are difernt to the 914/4 ?
If yes what other model have this rear calipers ?
what is the machined needed in the hubs to adapt the 914/6 rotor ? Drill 5 lugs only ?
the 914/6 hubs fits perfectly in a 914/4 trailing arm ?

This rear brakes upgrades is worth the money because I already have the 5 lug in the rear ?
Can I note a improvement in braking ?

Let me know
regards

Last edited by Eduardo Castrejón Elbjorn; 03-22-2002 at 12:33 PM..
Old 03-22-2002, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
What parts I need to convert my 914/4 to 914/6 rear brake system ?

Depends on what you mean by the "rear braking system". A minimum would be the calipers only. They should work on the four-lug rotors. You'll need the five-lug 914-6 rotors if you want five-lug wheels.

The 914-6 used a slightly different proportioning valve for the rear brakes than the -4 did.

Do the rotors are the same size as the 914/4 ?

Very slightly thicker, and evidently they also have a very slightly larger diameter. Just enough that they can rub some 914-4 rear calipers when the -4 calipers are used on the -6 rotors. A little work with a file or grinder takes care of that.

I know that the rear 914/6 rotors are solid and have the 5 lug but the rear calipers are difernt to the 914/4 ? If yes what other model have this rear calipers ?

Yes, they are different. The pistons in the -6 rear caliper are larger diameter than those in the -4 caliper. I forget the exact numbers, though. No other car has the same rear calipers.

what is the machined needed in the hubs to adapt the 914/6 rotor ? Drill 5 lugs only ?

Drill them and have studs pressed in. I wouldn't trust threaded holes in the thin parts of the four-bolt hub, while I would trust press-in studs with proper spot-facing on the back for the shoulders of the studs.

the 914/6 hubs fits perfectly in a 914/4 trailing arm ?

That's what they were made to do... The trailing arms are the same.

This rear brakes upgrades is worth the money because I already have the 5 lug in the rear ? Can I note a improvement in braking ?

IMHO, it isn't worth it. The front brakes do most of the work for you anyway. Larger brake pistons will let the rears do a little more work, but not a whole lot. The proportioning valve is going to see to that... The stock -4 rear brakes should be fine on the -6 rotors. With 911 brakes up front, you may very well be able to ditch the proportioning valve altogether, which would help the pedal feel (the PV is notoriously hard to bleed) and will probably cut down on stopping distance slightly.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-22-2002, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Eduardo Castrejón Elbjorn
Dave:

Thanks, I will retain my 4 rear calipers.
Only I will change if I can buy it at very affrodable price.

reagards
Old 03-22-2002, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Depending on the year of the 914. The BMW calipers will also bolt onto the rears AND you can also use your front 914 calipers on the rear as well without mods to the caliper.

You will lose the use of the emergency brake though. Use of the 914/6 rotor is the usual way to convert, you MAY have to machine the outside edge for a perfect fit.

The diameter of the 914/6 rotor is slightly larger than the /4 rotor. Some people have machined or filed inside the caliper so that they don't have to keep fixing the rotor when they replace them.
Old 03-23-2002, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: