Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil leak at cyl head studs

I am in the process of cleaning up a '73 2.0L motor. Engine is out of the car and all tin has been removed.

It seems that oil has been leaking from some of the top cylinder studs where they enter the main case. There is little or no oil above the studs. The stain pattern spreads going down between the cylinders. The bottom studs may have also been leaking, but I cannot be sure because of oil from above.

Do the stud holes go through to the inside of the cases? and, if so, what is the proper way to seal them?

(Surprisingly, there were no leaks at push rod tubes, crank seals, oil pump, or oil cooler.)

- Matt
Old 03-25-2002, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes *some* of the threads are open on the back side, I have NEVER seen these leaks before on a TIV, the problem is probably coming from the cylinder base and running to the studs, then dripping off.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Jake -

Could you define "some"?

I see oil mainly at the top two center studs, on both sides of the engine. These are the studs "between" the front and rear cylinders, not at the farthest front or rear of the engine.

Looking at the top of the engine, the oil is very distinctly around the studs, not around where the cylinders enter the case.

- Matt
Old 03-25-2002, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The holes you are talking about are open on the back side, but I don't see how the hell they can leak, as the threads are almost 1 inch in the case and they normally fit very tightly, I always use Hylomar on those just in case, and have never ever seen one leak.
Old 03-25-2002, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Jake -

Guess I must be lucky. I'm surprised to see oil there too, but that is definitely where it is coming from.

Would a FLAPS have "Hylomar" or is that something very special?

Thanks

- Matt
Old 03-27-2002, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hylomar is a trademark of Rolls Royce, they use it to seal up their engines.....Permatex has a version of it that is sold at most NAPA stores, it is good but not as good as the real thing.
Old 03-27-2002, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: