Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Painting engine tin and headers

Cleaning up a 2.0L motor...

Any suggestions for home painting od engine tin and exhaust headers? (Prep, brand of paint, etc.)
Tin is in good shape. Original black with usual scuff marks.
Original heat exchangers are intact with average surface rust.

- Matt
Old 03-25-2002, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Just one suggestion. I suggest just a plain black high temp paint. Just make sure whatever color you paint it will look good if you decide to paint your car say a different color. I figured on keeping my car yellow so I painted all the tin yellow & everything else that was paintable in the engine bay that same yellow. Well after going to get my car painted & deciding to change the color? Basically I have a beautiful dark blue metallic car ! ( the lovely yellow in the engine bay does'nt quite match the blue! Uh o yeah
this is just a hypothetical situation. No one would be dumb enough to do that . Hope you all enjoy my "hypothetical" story. Good luck
Old 03-25-2002, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

I had some left over high temp engine enamel from another project. It was black, so I painted the gas tank. Looked great until I spilled some gas on it and it messed up the tank. I would test what ever you buy because you're bound to get some gas on it someday somehow. I'm gonna powder coat my tin. I have been told that will resist gas and oil.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just did my tin...
I used paint stripper on the tin and then primed it with Rust-O-Leum primer for clean or painted metal (it was white). I then painted everything Royal Blue with Rust-o-leum. Yup...everything is now blue. The black was cool but i have been painting everything I repair or work on blue so I know I have been there and cannot blame the PO. The only exception was the axles I rebuilt this week. For some reason I just did not think blue axles would work
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 03-25-2002, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys

The car is a very dark metallic grey, almost black. The engine compartment, however, is pink. I plan to shoot the EC when the engine is out. I was thinking of painting tin and compartment a "light" color so it would be a little brighter while working on the motor (visions of that white 6 conversion that I've seen at Don & Glenns).

Any more suggestions?

- Matt
Old 03-25-2002, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

On painting the exhaust and headers....doesn't the the high temp paint turn kind of white-gray. (like my wood stove?)Any better paints available?? Just put on a new Asna and want to keep it looking good. As far as the rest of the undertray: BLACK. Matches anything.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have used the POR-15 hi temp paints and found they do not rust through, flake off or burn off as most other paints do. I have a set of headers on my race car with a year old paint job that is still good. It is worth the money. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

For the headers, I have used ceramic paint available from most autostores. The paint does not burn off, but you have to get to bare metal before you apply. About once a year, I remove the headers and repaint. Not too bad for $5 a rattle can.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Light-colored paint no the engine tin will show dirt in a huge tearing hurry. Dirt is something that is very common in the 914 engine bay. I have a buddy with a black 73 with yellow engine tin. Looks filthy, even a couple days after it gets thoroughly cleaned.

The up-side is that the light color really throws the light around inside the engine bay. You can see what you're doing quite a bit easier than with the stock black tin.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-26-2002, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I had my tin sand blasted and powder coated it's more scratch resistant and an easier finish to clean. If you are patient sometimes PC shops will give you a break if you let them run the parts on there own schedule. The silver parts are painted with ceramic engine enamel. By the way all of these FI parts are avalable I am running carbs now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fi motor2.jpg (59.3 KB, 6579 views)
Old 03-26-2002, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: