Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

VW bus ????

I have a 77 auto 2.0 bus. I don't know if anyone has done this, but I want to put a manual trans in it. Anyone hae any pointers for me on this conversion? Thanx
Old 03-26-2002, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yea, don't.

I'n not kidding, I did this to a 67 Mustang, big time work. I'll never do it again, I think it would have been cheeper to sell my can and by a manual.

You have linkage, not a big deal, but you have to deal iwth a new pedal cluster and shifter.

Next, I think the 82 manual bus I worked on beore had differant tranny mounts then the 81 auto bus, you would need to fabricate them.

Third, I'm not sure if the auto has any electronics, you may need a new ICM.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, I have a donor bus with a manual trans setup. The accelerator pedal and the brake pedal are in the same place as the ones on my van. All I would need to do is cut a hole for the clutch pedal and hook up the linkage. I just don't know is there's anything i'm not thinking of. The axles are different lengths. I have done a manual to auto changeover on a 94 toyota 4x4.That was pretty hard because it was all electronically controlled. The 77 bus has a carb setup so the computer will not be a problem.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Why change? The bus auto is tough. I have one in a Vanagon and I can pull a beetle with it!

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 03-26-2002, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have an offer for the trans that I can't pass up. Plus I have everything to make the conversion. I would prefer it to be a manual trans anyhow.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

go to the bus barn at www.shoptalkforums.com, this subject must be gone in to detail at length.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I converted a '75 bus. The only hard part was adding the clutch cable tube.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: