Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Carpet Color

I am trying to find out what color carpet my car originally came with. It was red, and has brown (not the common light tan)seats, door panels, and backpad. The top of the drivers side door pocket and the passenger side door pull top are black and original. I have the old carpet ripped out for replacement and would like to put in the correct color. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
Old 05-05-1999, 06:30 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Tell me the year and I can help. Also what was the carpet made out of, Loop, or Felt? The book I have "914 restorer's guide to authenticity" by Dr. B Johnson (if you are restoring your car you NEED this book) says there were only Brown Grey Tan Black Oatmeal carpets. You also need to say what material the seats are made out of.
Old 05-05-1999, 08:08 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The carpeting that was in there was a replacement kit by a PO and was the wrong stuff. The seats are smooth vinyl bolsters with basketweave inserts. The door panels are basketweave. The color of the vinyl is brown.
Old 05-05-1999, 08:26 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Agian, I need the year. I can tell you the color and code (only three digits so I guess it is an options code, not a PN). Not to be a stickler but some years have felt, some pile, and some German loop. I assume that if the seats are brown then the carpet would be also, but there is a 403 brown a 402, and a 406 depending on year. BTW I don't even know if these numbers would help, i.e. if anyone has a book to match them too.

Also, try asking Wayne at Pelican, I've been very happy with there service in the past. If they need to look something up they will go through the effort to make sure it is right.
Old 05-05-1999, 01:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It is a 74. Unfortunately, it was painted long ago and they painted over or removed the sticker with the option codes on it. I really appreciate your help. Where can I get that book?
Old 05-05-1999, 05:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
How about getting it from Pelican Parts?

--DD
Old 05-06-1999, 09:01 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I am!! Tom sent out the carpet for the light tan interior instead of the dark brown for my interior. I'm sending that back and am trying to find out what color to order. By the way, Tom's customer service is nothing short of fantastic.
Old 05-06-1999, 09:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Anyone with that "914 Restorers Guide to Authenticity" that could !!please!! look this up for me? I'm driving around without carpet :-)
Old 05-08-1999, 08:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Sorry, my bad, forgot I left you hanging. I've been doing a Autocad 3-D model for the last 80 some hours and my rods and cones are all screwed up. Nice to get an internet break every once in a while.

1974 color------number
vinyl seats
Brown-----------402
Tan-------------502
Black-----------702

Basket weave vunyl
Brown-----------401
Tan-------------501
Blk-------------701

Corduroy seats
Brn-------------400
Tan-------------500
BLK-------------700

Carpet,Loop type
Brown-----------402
Oatmeal---------503
Tan-------------504
Grey------------701

Carpet, Felt
Brown-----------402
Tan-------------501
Grey------------700

The felt was standard, and the higher quality loop optional until 74 when loop became standard. Don't know if these codes will help any, 20+ years old and all that. Maybe go to a NAPA and ask if they have and carpet books (like the paint chip books) or a local custom interior shop. This way you can have a more recent number to give Wanye, and you will know exactly what the color will be. Be nice, because you will be taking there time but I'm sure Pelican can sell the carpets for about half of what an interior shop would want, and Wanye probably has them is stock.

[This message has been edited by JP Noonan (edited 05-09-99).]
Old 05-09-1999, 09:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sorry, musta been taking my stupid pills or something.

Anyway, I meant--how about getting the "Restorer's Guide" from Pelican? I know they have it; I bought a copy from them a while ago.

If you really want to know what your particular car came with from the factory, you can write to PCNA for a Certificate of Authenticity. As I understand it, you have to give them the VIN and some proof of ownership (like a photocopy of the registration) and they'll send back a card with the color and options that were on the car when it left the factory. Check on the 914 Club's page, I think under 914 Numbers. http://www.dgi.net/914

--DD

[This message has been edited by Dave_Darling (edited 05-10-99).]
Old 05-10-1999, 09:22 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 05-10-1999, 09:22 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: