Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rear lens gasket??

Are there gaskets or seal available for the rear lens?? If not, any suggestions on what to use.

BMW CCA DE at Portland International Raceway this Friday. Still plenty of time to devolop the 24 hour flu so you can attend. Suppose to be sunny and 60.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest

I believe those gaskets are NLA.

I used screen door spline rubber (that strip of rubber that runs around the edge of a window screen and holds the screen to the frame.) It has the right amount of pliability and a spot of latex or 'Goop' where the 2 ends join completes the install. No more leaks!
Old 03-27-2002, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

I made the mistake of squirting clear RTV into the groove and put the lens in immediatly. I didn't think about the RTV being a glue. I may still be able to get them apart. I tried running a razor blade around the outside but they still held tight. Anyone got any ideas on what I should do next, besides buying some new lenses and housings?

Tom
Las Vegas, NV
'74 914.0L

Last edited by TomInVegas; 03-27-2002 at 09:18 PM..
Old 03-27-2002, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

We use gorilla snot/dum dum. It is available at any hardware store. It comes in a roll, is black, never gets hard, is easily removeable and has many applications. It is made by 3M and I don't know how to describe it. We seal front windshields and rear glass with it. I will get the description/part number later and will post it. My crew got invited to Le Mans this year to crew for Kevin Buckler in the #66 Porsche, I wonder if they need a little help. OTTO

Check out the Porsche Owners Club Track event Videos
Old 03-28-2002, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
That stuff is called "butyl tape". AKA "the stuff that holds the windshield in".

The body shop that worked on my 914 decided to super glue the lenses to the housings. And the housings still leaked, so they used some kind of black gunk all around the housing-to-body seam inside the trunk. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get those things out!! Hopefully I'll never pop a light bulb... Yeah, right!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-28-2002, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Oh, yeah, super glue is know to be a great sealant. Not! So, Dave, how were there body working skills?

For rear glass sealant I've also used a material very similar to plumber's putty. A little more sensitive than butyl tape, as fas as installation, but a whole lot easier to clean up if you ever have to remove the lens to replace a bulb. The butyl can turn into an amazing black sticky, stringy mess when you try to seperate it.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: