Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

CV bolts swap?

Is there a swap for the CV bolts to a hex head? I will be putting my engine/tranny in this weekend and if there is a way to swap out the stock bolts, please let me know.

Thanks

914-6 in the Werks
Old 03-28-2002, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

We change these alot. Many of you teeners don't have or know where to get the 8mm cheesehead/star tool needed to address the axle bolts. We change these all the time. Contact me and I will send you 16 of the needed bolts. OTTO

Check out the Porsche Owners Club Track event Videos
Old 03-28-2002, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Pelican also carries the regular Allen-head version of these bolts. I don't think a standard external hex head is a great idea for these, as space is rather tight.

I picked up the M8 "triple square" from my local VW Bug shop--old Bugs also use this fastener for their CV joints. I asked for the "CV joint socket".

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-28-2002, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hello

Those bolts must have 12.9 or better grade.

Original they came with the hex head in 14.9 grade and torque specs at 45 NM. Allen heads will stripe if you try to loose them later.

A little problem using 12.9 and torque them to lower specs is the gaskets used on the CV joint flange will not compress/seat at once and you have to retight them later.

Nowerdays most VW applications use the 14 ZXN bolts with the new head flange design. Normaly sold in 6packs in germany.

Grüsse
Old 03-31-2002, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: