Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
canna change law physics

Garage
Question Raising a lowered 914-6

I just had a once over on my new baby yesterday, to see if there was anything wrong beyond what I already knew. The mechanic (as a couple of other people have said) the car has been lowered. And he said that the lowering was an adjustment, not a change of parts.

I'd like to get the car back to stock height (I'll scrape the front valance a little less often). Anyone know how to make the adjustments?

James
Old 03-29-2002, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
At the aft end of the front torsion bars are some cam-shaped thing with bolts through them. Turn the bolts and you adjust the front ride height. I forget which way is which, though.

Haynes has a porcedure and pictures.

The rears are not so simple...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-29-2002, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Thanks! I'll dig around for my Haynes book.

What do you think was done to the rear to lower it?

And does someone have a height number to work towards?

James
Old 03-29-2002, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If the rear is low, it could be a few things. 1. If it still has the original springs they will probably have sagged by now. I know mine did and when I replaced them with new Weltmeister 100 lb springs the rear ride height went up 1-2 inches! 2. The PO replaced the springs with shorter higher rate springs. 3. Or if you're lucky the PO put in shocks with adjustible spring perches which means you can reset the rear height. As you know, with fixed springs the only hay to alter height is to alter springs (or vehicle weight!).

Mike
Old 03-29-2002, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

turning in (clockwise ?) raises the front. don't do this with the weight of the car on the tires.as your car sits, is the front end drasticly lower than rear or does i sit fairly level? if your rear coils are stock you might find some green paint marks on them
Old 03-30-2002, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
The front and the rear seem to be about the same heigth. I'll do some measurements. I'm going to try raising the fron end, next weekend. I have the semi-ex-GF in town. She did put up with being driven from San Diego to Oceanside in the 914/6. She is still afraid of the cars!

James
Old 03-30-2002, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cool

Red-Beard,

I would not raise the car for the your friend's sake. Tell her that it is not every car that you can read the tire size of the SUV stopped next you at a light.

Last edited by Jim Smolka; 03-31-2002 at 02:19 AM..
Old 03-30-2002, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

It isn't just scaping the front. It'll ride better if it's up a little closer to stock. It's an old car. If it hasn't been fitted w/ new shocks in a while, you'll want to do that.

People don't understand how choppy the freeways are here in CA. Some of that road up to Oceanside is pretty nice though.

Old 03-30-2002, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: