Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Anyone running on Bridgestone RE-950 tires?

I'm strongly considering buying new tires for the 914. After reading quite a few reviews on the Tire Rack website, I'm leaning toward Bridestone Portenza RE-950 tires in the P195/65R15 size.

Almost every review I read says that they're great wet/dry, but crappy in the snow. Since my baby is packed away during Chicago's winters, I'm not concered about the poor snow traction.

So, anyone running RE-950s?

As always, any responses are greatly appreciated.

Howard
Old 03-29-2002, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Howard,

I bought a set of the RE-950's last summer. I live in Mpls., I wanted a good rain tire when needed after my experiences with 165's. I have 195/60 on 2L Fuchs. I wish I would have bumped up on the rears to 205's since have the space.

I have been very happy in the dry and wet with noticably better handling of course. I'd buy them again price was good as well.

Best regards,
Tom

PS- My car is a street car only.
Old 03-29-2002, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Here is a picture of the tires.

Tom-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porschetire.2.jpg (36.5 KB, 146 views)
Old 03-29-2002, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Tom:

Thanks for the info and the photo. I'm currently running Bridgestone RE-71s all around, in a 205/60 size. In front, the 205 scuffs the inner wheel well wall during very tight turns. In the rear, there's only about 1/4" of space between the sidewall and the fender lip. I figure that by going to the 195, I'll give up a little footprint for a little more margin of error (and less hassle when taking the wheels on and off).

I know that each 914 is a little different, so a 205 on the rear may be a good fit it your situation. Just make sure you have the space.

Howard
Old 03-30-2002, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i don't know if you are asking only about that one specific brand. i have yokohama as301 195/60's on my car. because of where i live i have to drive on wet roads alot and they do a great job. they're pretty quiet on dry roads and completely eliminated the howl during hard cornering.
Old 03-30-2002, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Howard,

I've had RE950's for about a year. I went with 195/65's because the offset of my Empi's wouldn't allow a wider tire.

The tires have performed very well on the street in all kinds of weather, including one light snowfall. I've even autocrossed on them (once), and they were much better than the 165's I had previously. (Generally I don't autox; this was a "what the h*ll" decision at an SCCA event.)

Hope that helps,

Mark
Old 03-30-2002, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: