Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Transmission Problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

914 Transmission Problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just awaken my 1970 914 from its winter sleep to take advantage of some early spring sunshine!!! I took it on a gentle spin for about 10 miles, on returning home I approached a junction and tried to select 1st gear, I couldn't select the gear, so pulled away in second, I then tried 3rd, but nothing!!!! I nursed her home in 2nd. The car was then parked on my drive for about 2 hours before I then attempted to put her into the garage, to my amazement I was able to select 1st gear!!!! Unfortunately I can't select any other gear, plus the car is stuck in first!!

I have read that the transmission selector can get stuck in a gear. Any help in sorting this problem would be greatly appreciated before the wet season sets in!!!
Old 04-01-2002, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Only simple things I can think of are to make sure it has fluid, and that the tail shifters bushings went bad or the post that screws into the back of the floor pan came undone.
Old 04-01-2002, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Could also be the bushing in the firewall.
Might also be some obstruction in the tunnel, or a pinch bolt came loose...
Old 04-01-2002, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Check your linkage from shifter back and also check your transmission and motor mounts. I had a tailshifter to break its motor mount and cause similar problems.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i've actually had the shift rod almost pop out of the cradle at the rear of the tranny, i pulled over beat the poor shift rod back to were it was supposed to go and it worked, i could always tell when it was about to happen, the shifter would almost become limp, and this is after i had changed the bushings, the car, before i started tearing it down for the restoration, shifted better as it got warmer, sucked when i first got going
Old 04-01-2002, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Check the universal joint bushings, especially if they have never been replaced. These are in the u-joint where the linkage bar exiting the firewall connects to the rear linkage bar. On my car the original bushings hardened and disintegrated, making it impossible to select all gears. New bushings cured the problem. If this is the problem, this would be a good time to replace all of the other shift linkage bushings as well, since you will have the linkage disassembled. If this has never been done the improvement in shifting will probably surprise you.

Mike
Old 04-01-2002, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A stock 70 model is a tailshifter. It does not have a u joint. It has a ball cup connection. As previously mentioned that post could be loose or the cup bushing bad. If I remember correctly, there are 5 bushing to replace. 2 ball cups(shifter and firewall) and 3 rod bushings (transmission end, firewall and rod at shifter.)
Old 04-01-2002, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

bpick84, You are correct. I was thinking about my 76 and forgot that the early linkage was different. I just checked a diagram of the two systems and there is no u-joint in the early linkage. Sorry to confuse the issue.

Mike

Last edited by maf 914; 04-01-2002 at 12:36 PM..
Old 04-01-2002, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

before i changed to a side shifter, i had a nagging problem of not being able to engage 1&3. after replacing all of the bushings and both cups all the adjusting in the world would not help. inside the tail of the trans the shift lever shaft part #12 p.86(Haynes) connects to part #14 with a little rolled steel pin. mine had sheared off on one side and the two parts had rolled out of alignment.if this is what is wrong get two,it's the same pin that secures the clutch pedal to its shaft. if all else fails this is an easy check. first drain the gear lube and remove the rectangular cover on the bottom of the tail. best to locate a new gasket first. if you haven't chaged the gear lube in a while this is the perfect opportunity.

Last edited by Kevin Powers; 04-01-2002 at 06:10 PM..
Old 04-01-2002, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Good news!!!!!

The bolt holding the linkage togther near the fire wall had come undone.

Thanks for all your help.

Off out to enjoy some English spring sunshine and some twisty roads!!!!
Old 04-03-2002, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: