Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
canna change law physics

Garage
Weird Transmission

OK. Whoever is the transmission guru, I have one for ya.

On my 1971, the PO did a personal sideshift conversion. The result - the shift pattern is mirrored.

Reverse is where 4th should be.

5th is where 1st should be.

This was originally a tail shift transmission. He is supposed to have reworked the tranny and then shortened the shift rod.

Any ideas why this would have happended? Any ideas on how to get the shift pattern to be correct?

James
Old 04-01-2002, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It sounds to me like he reworked the shift linkage. I am no guru but I could easily rework most of the forward gear locations internally, however I don't see how he would rework the reverse. I do not understand how he shortened the shift rod unless he added another piece of linkage. Compare your linkage to a parts diagram.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
He cut it and re-welded it to shorten the rod.
Old 04-01-2002, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Let me see if I got this straight... The tailshifter was converted to a sideshifter. You now have the standard sideshift console with ball cup connection. The shift linkage was left as a tailshift with the rear linkage bar cut to length and attached with the ball cup. Therefore, you have a post and ball cup connection at the firewall instead of a u joint. I would have to think on it a while but that senerio may reverse your pattern. It reverses the throw at the firewall which is opposite the sideshift u-joint action. (I think). If that is what you have a sideshift linkage and shifter should straighten it out.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Getting a sideshift linkage isn't too difficult. I think there is one for sale on ebay. The shifter. Could I use a short-shift kit designed for the later model car, or does that not have the peice I'd need?

James
Old 04-01-2002, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Can you sketch out the pattern for us?? The normal 914 shift pattern is:

R 2 4
1 3 5

It sounds like you're saying your pattern is:

4 2 R
5 3 1

Is that correct? If so, then I think the speculation is correct--it's the side-shifter tail-shifter mismatch that is responsible.

If you want to go side-shifter, you'll need the later linkage, all the way from the tranny up through the gear shift lever. You'll also need the later motor mount bar, plus the solid outer mounts and inner rubber mounts. I'm not sure if you need the later bracket that attaches the rubber mounts to the engine case or not.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-01-2002, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
That is exactly the pattern!

Is there anything else I could do to remedy this short of finding a new shift linkage and shifter? Add or remove a joint in the linkage?

I know that if I change to the new linkage, I'll need the engine mounting beam as well.

James
Old 04-01-2002, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Red-Beard, What is it like driving with that shift pattern. Switching from normal five speeds to the older Porsche and 914 pattern with 1st to the left and down is enough of a change to sometimes trick me, like getting 3rd when I want 2nd, but I can't imagine a totally reversed pattern.

Another weird arrangement must be learning to shift with your left hand when driving a right hand drive car, i.e. British or Japenese. I lived in Europe and drove in England several times, but always with a left hand drive car on the wrong side of the road.

Mike
Old 04-01-2002, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
On driving that car: At the time I was, my other car was a honda accord which was

1 3 5
2 4 R

So remembering

4 2 R
5 3 1

Was definitely a challenge

Right now, the 914/6 is standard

R 2 4
1 3 5

and the Jeep Cherokee is simply

D

James
Old 04-01-2002, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 4WheelDrifter
Red,

One good thing about having this shift pattern is someone will have a hell of a time trying to steal it by driving it.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I've used that argument with myself as to why to leave it alone....

James
Old 04-01-2002, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

and most people say the shifter in a 914 is vague at best. install a mirror in front of the shifter and it will be perfect.james i think i have both rods and a shifter base. if you want them let me know and we will work out the details.screw the ebay drill.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The shift pattern is perfect for driving from the passenger seat.

Can you say "English"?

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 04-01-2002, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Actually, the only problem with the shift pattern is that in 5th, the shift end up next to your leg.

James
Old 04-01-2002, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: