Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post DPD air conditioning

I have a DPD airconditioner in my 74' 2.0L and I need guidance and parts.

1. I don't understand how the compressor belt routes and/or is changed. The way it looks is that the compressor pulley and idler line up behind the grey air housing. Where is the pulley that drives the belt and how do I get the belt on?

2. I need the 4 chrome swivel vents that mount in the under-dash unit.

3. Tech articles, manuals, ect. for 914 A/C's.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

air conditioning - 914

Having now read all threads I could find regarding A/C options, here is what I think I have understood to be the best way.

1. Replace the original reciprocating York compressor with a rotary compressor to reduce the load on the engine.

2. Replace all hoses with "vapor barrier hose" regardless of the coolant used.

3. Use a dropin R12 replacement - Freeze 12, "Hot Shot" R414b, or equivalent - to increase cooling and eliminate R12 issue.

Did I get it right?
Old 04-01-2002, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Its been a while since I've inspected a DPD 914 AC system so I may be mistaken about this, but this is what I recall. The drive pulley for AC fits between the fan and the engine case. It takes the place of the spacer normally located there. I've read that these pulleys are now a little hard to find. The belt actually passes between the aluminum cooling air shroud and the engine case. (That is what I'm not actually sure of.) To replace the belt you first remove the alternator belt, then slip the AC belt over the fan into the shroud opening, then behind the fan, around the pulley, then out between the shroud and the case on the lower right side (when facing the front of the car). The compressor mounts low and to the right front corner with its drive pulley facing back. The alternator is on the left side. AC belt adjustment is made by sliding the compressor.

Could someone tell me if I have the belt arrangement right?

Mike
Old 04-01-2002, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Smile DPD a/c

Thanks Mike. I'll look at my engine tonight to see if I can follow the proceudre. Glad the engine is out!

Alan
Old 04-01-2002, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I remember that in order to access the A/C drive pully you have to remove the fan ... from there it is easy. It can be done with the engine in the car, but it is difficult since you can't see what your hands are doing.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Unhappy ac belt

You do have to remove the fan to access the pulley. I would hate to be on a major road trip and lose this belt. Thanks for the help.

Alan
Old 04-01-2002, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: