Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rear reflector education....need help

I've decided to install a rear reflector on my car and need a little help with what to buy. I've been told that new reflectors are not available for the 914 now, and to purchase a new unit would require buying one for a 911 and cutting it down.

It appears there are at 2 or 3 different reflectors available for the 911 depending on what year 911 you are buying for and from which company/vendor. I've supported Pelican for all my new part needs and have always found price, service and information to be top shelf.

With the 911 reflectors, I have found 2 different 911 units available from Pelican for around $400 or $500, depending on which model year 911 your buying for. Another vendor has 3 different units available, all in the $125 price range. .....these too vary in part number depending on which model year car your buying for.

My questions are:

What year 911 should I use/specify when buying for a 914?

Is there a difference in appearance between the different 911 reflectors?

Any tips on what to use to obtain a clean cut on the reflector ends?

What gives with the large price difference?

I've read many of the posts concerning how to open the trunk after installing a reflector and have pretty much decided on a cable.

Regards,

John
Old 04-01-2002, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Can't tell you the year, probably early. I have a later one, 1979 I think, and it would require substantial triming to make it work.

The distance between the tail light assemblies on the 911 and the 914 is different and will require you to cut each end of the 911 reflector.

I had a 914 with a cable pull and only a metal ring to pull with. It was pure HELL on the fingers. It was kinda like putting a key into a lock, turning it , sticking your index finger in the ring and trying to jerk the key out.

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 04-01-2002, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

See if you can find one used...
Do not use the remote entry system (very bad when it fails).
I recommend drilling a small hole in the center of the reflector
Old 04-01-2002, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Find a used one for $100 or so. Or better yet, don't do it. The 914 never came with a rear reflector between the lights. I believe it has always been an aftermarket product. When the 914 crowd figured out that the 911 rear reflector was close to the same size, someone trimmed the ends and stuck it on.
Then, enterprising individuals started making them to fit the 914.

I have had 2 different ones on my 914's. A nice one with the small extra panels at the end was the best looking one. It went to the new owner with the car. My current one is just a hunk of plastic with stick on letters on the back. That's what you get from the guys in Atlanta. Junk.

Anyway, in hindsight, I wish I had never drilled the holes and put the thing on. The trunk releases are a hassle, and the nice clean look with correct emblems looks better. Now that I drilled holes, I am stuck with it until I get a new paint job.

I just re-read your tag line. If you are in the middle of a v-8 conversion, you have bigger problems than this!!

Last edited by rfoulds; 04-02-2002 at 06:15 AM..
Old 04-02-2002, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
As for the trunk release, I recommend the belt-and-suspenders route. That is, in addition to the cable release, I suggest putting a small hole in the trunk floor above the muffler, in a location where you can get a screwdriver up into the trunk and pop the catch on the latch. (Practice it a few times!!) Some RTV will fill the hole and keep water from getting in.

Sure, you'll have to remove the muffler to get to this second release method, but it's a lot better than trying to unbolt the latch from the rear panel by going through the holes in the front of the trunk where the targa lid latches go!!

That's actually not a really bad idea for any 914, as even the stock setup can fail on you when the "lock cam" breaks. I'll be doing this on my car RSN--Real Soon Now.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-02-2002, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I thought I had made up my mind to install a reflector but may reconsider that. .........yeah, I've got my share of headaches ahead with the v8 conversion and may not need one more......but still have not given up totally on the idea.

Still would like answers to my questions that were not answered by anyone else with expereince. ie what year reflector works best, why the price difference of $159 up to $550 (all OEM reflectors), cutting methods etc.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The easy solution is to remove the rear trunk latch so the trunk lid won't latch. The lid is held down well enough with the torsion springs and you never have to worry about a broken latch cam.

Try it you will be surprised how well it works.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I will look at my reflector to see what part numbers it has.

Caution the rear of your car may not appear "stock"

--- Jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg srear.jpg (5.2 KB, 212 views)
Old 04-02-2002, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If you remove the latch, just don't plan on ever autoxing or any other racing...and personaly I don't like the idea of a unexpected bump or spin to send that large piece of metal flying at me...

Tony
Old 04-02-2002, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Jay,

What type rear bumper is on your car?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-03-2002, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

There is no logical reason for the disparity in pricing. If you make a run of 1000 pieces, your cost is "X" per unit. If you make a run of 100 pieces, your cost is "Y" per unit. Due to the limited market for these items, one supplier may have made 1000 and the other 100. They are both plastic, with reflective paint. I suppose one could be better plastic with better paint.

The hot ones were with Porsche in black lettering. There are some made with Porsche in red lettering (less desireable). I had 40 of the "red lettering" and sold them for $30.00 each (got them at a surplus auction). They were OEM made by Bosch. Maybe I should have charged $300 each for them after reading your post.

I go by the axiom that if it says Porsche, it's automatically $100.00. If you pronounce it as a two syllable word, it's $200.00 to start. If it fits something with a 6 cylinder engine, it's $300.00 and so on and so on.....,.

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 04-03-2002, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: