Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: glen allen virginia, when not in blacksburg(va tech)
Send a message via AIM to Larryvt
Help!!!!!!!

Ok, i have a '74 914 2.0L. I drive the car almost everyday and havent had problems with it until now for the year and a half ive had the car. Recently the car has been acted very weird. I go to start the car and find that i have to pump the gas to get it to start, not only that but i must continue to pump the gas to continue to keep it running or else the car will cut off. Sometimes this requires hard pumping and sometimes it only needs slight pressure. I have tryed warming the car up for a little while this way before driving but it doesnt seem to help. When i do drive off the car will sputter and its sounds like it sometimes backfires while giving no acceleration then i will get jerky acceleration and sputtering and accelerate and sputter. I find myself having to keep the revs near 3 or 4 grand just to keep the car going down the road. When i stop i have to pump the gas furiously in order to take off again. Now i thought that i may have gotten bad gas or water in the gas so i tryed water treatment and fuel treatment and fresh quality gas but this only seemed to temporarily help if it did at all. Now when the weather was really nice (70's and sunny) the car seemed to do much better but it still was now where close to normal. Also this has happened its worst two times in the past two weeks soon after it rained. Now i dont know if that has anything to do with it but its food for thought. Anway, if anyone knows how to help me please tell me. I have racked my brain trying to figure it out and its very frusterating. Someone HELP!
Old 04-02-2002, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Is your 2.0 D-jet or carbed?

The beginning of the diagnostic is the same in either case:

1) Make sure the engine is in good basic mechanical condition.
2) Make sure the ignition system is in good condition.
3) Start checking the carbs or FI.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-02-2002, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
Old 04-02-2002, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Check the points and timing. If that doesn't do it, then go back to the begining of DD's list.
Old 04-02-2002, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Know how you feel Larry . Sounds similar to my problem. I believe the problem lies with the fuel injection or the sensors involved. I will be troubleshooting the FI hopefully next week & I'll let you know what I find. Unfortunately there are a lot of things this could be. Check previous posts on FI problems. All the guy's here are a great help
Old 04-03-2002, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: