Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Eat-um-up Send a message via AIM to Eat-um-up
roll down window

Has anyone ever attempted to make the rear window capable of bring rolled down (electrically) ? if so is there adiquate room to do this without makeing the car look too modefied? how about kits. do any kits for this exist? i gets hot here in cali. makeing that rear window come down would be a blessing
Old 04-03-2002, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Its also very loud.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
I believe this was asked once before, but no, there's no "kit" (electric or otherwise) available. Besides, there's barely enough room between the backpad and bulkhead (read: nil) for such a device, considering how much it would compromise seat travel.

And, as much as I love the sound of my T-IV, a wide-opening there for any length of time would induce dull hearing, making me wonder why I bothered to install a nice stereo system in the first place.

Old 04-03-2002, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Try driving the car with the rear window removed and you'll find it really noisy and it disrupts the air flow into the engine compt. I tried it and it was a mess on my race car so I glued the window back in! You'll just have to live with a "vintage" sports car and suffer the heat, unless you install an A/C unit. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I don't have the heat problem (yet) up here in not-quite-springtime CT, but am not looking forward to sitting in a D/E staging line in July (gotta run with the roof on).

Have any of you guys out there on the sunny side of the country tried to do anything with the removable roof to make it reflect, rather than absorb, sunlight? I've been wondering if a layer of metallized mylar (ie one of those "emergency space blankets") would give a little relief. Running one on the outside would probably blind fellow drivers, am not sure how effective it would be as a headliner.

What does the military do to keep those greenhouse fighter cockpits from broiling our pilots?

Any opinions, war stories, alternatives, etc????
Old 04-04-2002, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
They fly them @ 40 thousand feet 50 below zero...but seriously if you painted only a patch of the roof a lighter color it would help. I have about five tops. I was thinking about putting one under the knife to put in a rooftop ventilation scoop and exhaust...Would not take much.

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 04-04-2002, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
For the cooler roof:

Go to the home depot! They sell 1 gallon cans of a metalized roof sealant which reflects something like 99%. I used it on my house roof in Upstate NY, to reseal the flat roof.

Or: You could always just paint it white or silver.

Of course I'd do this on the roof destined for the track car, not on my good roof!

James
Old 04-04-2002, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey, I like the idea of putting some scoops up there. Mebbe some of those marine thingies that look like Mickey ears... On second thought, I don't think the track safety committee would be amused. Guess I'll just have to sit on one of those blue beer cooler gizmo's while I'm waiting to get on the track.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Cooler roof

I bought myself a spare targa top. I was thinking of building in a collapseable air scoop (so i can seal it and/or store it in the trunk) and putting a water cooler int there. Kinda like the air coolers you hang out the window on bugs
Old 04-07-2002, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Scoops... on the roof?? Pleeeease! I would find such modifications more than a little silly. Try rolling down the windows!
Old 04-08-2002, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Here in Bakersfield Cali those scoops with a water pad attatched to them would be a life saver on those 100 degree summer days
Old 04-08-2002, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

[QUOTE From Sled]
What does the military do to keep those greenhouse fighter cockpits from broiling our pilots?

Any opinions, war stories, alternatives, etc???? [/B][/QUOTE]

They mix finely ground gold into the plexiglass, if memory serves.
I haven't got the book in front of me....it may be a gold film. Either way, you can't afford it
Old 04-09-2002, 01:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

actually the gold is for the UV rays. The heat gets filtered through and broils your nugget while your up. Most aircraft have heavy duty airconditioning for this reason. (sorry for the side track, its all I know)
Old 04-09-2002, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: