Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question tire choices

I just installed bilsteins, welt. 100lbs springs, and turbo tie rods on my 75 2.0. The
car has the fuch alloys. What is an excellent
tire to put on - price no object. Thread life
and wet weather performance is not a concern either.
Any suggestions on manufacture model and size?

oh and by the way - what brake pads would you
suggest?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2002, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Looks like the springs are a little soft? Since you said tread wear and rain are not concerns, I'd recommend Khumho V700's in 205x15 size as they stick like crazy and you'll blow the doors off any Honda on any corner or turn! Good luck.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

John,

I wanted to keep the car as stock as possible -
Didnt want it to be too stiff - I thought
about the 140lb springs but would of needed to
upgrade the torsion bars as well. In hindsite
might of been a better way to go. I have to say
I also prefer the adj koni over the bilsteins.
My previous 914 had those. Every1 I spoke with seem to prefer bilstein. I'll look into those tires.

Thanks

Tod
Old 04-04-2002, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Tires

Take a look at the TIRE RACK.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/searchtires.jsp
Lots of good info. and reviews.

the 205 x 15 Bridgestone Potenza S-03 looks like a good bet
to me.
I'm looking for a set of tires myself..

Doug
Old 04-04-2002, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

good deal - let me know how u like them - be 3-4 months be4 i put a set on. just doing my homework assinment right now.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
I have to agree with John on the 100lbs being too soft. I'd have 140lb springs and a 19mm front sway bar so a "stock" car. I have 180's and don't think they are too stiff for the street.
For tires I like the Dunlop SP8000 I am running, good for the street even in rain plus they work nicely at the Autox too.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 04-05-2002, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

canna change law physics

Garage
I'm trying to keep the tire to "Stock" diameter to the speedo will work. As soon as my other three wheels arrive....

I'm going to buy Yokohama AVS db in 195/65-15.

These are supposed to give very good performance, all around and be much quieter than most performance tires.

And while this isn't essential where I live _now_, they even work in light snow! I know, my Honda was not running in the winter last year and I had to use my 71 914 to get to work...

James
Old 04-05-2002, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you really want dry-weather traction with everything else not a consideration, then only look at the "Competition" tires. Hoosier Autocross tires are it. Just be ready to buy another set next month, and the month after that, and...

I know a few people who run Yoko A032s on the street. Noisy but grippy. Longer-lasting than the Hoosiers or Kumho competition tires. Not as long-lasting as a real street tire.

I haven't heard much about the G-force k/d from anything but the mags yet. Brdigestone S-03s are supposed to be really good hard-compound street tires, as are the Kumho 712s. ("Hard-compound" in this case not meaning very hard, just not as soft as "competition" tires.)

You want as short a sidewall as possible. That will give you a little better grip, more feedback, and better acceleration due to lower gearing. It will also be noisier, more uncomfortable, the wheels will be more suceptible to pothole damage, your speedo/odometer will read too high, and you'll have to run higher RPMs to keep up with freeway traffic.

I really like the 195/50-15s on my 914. They're pretty brutal, though, and I'll be going to a taller tire when I get dedicated street wheels and dedicated track wheels.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-05-2002, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I have new Sumitomos 195/60/15...HTR-something...rated high and 38 bucks each...h rated nice and sturdy. So far nice. If they last 20k I will be happy. Check them out on Tire Rack.

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 04-05-2002, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I have the HTR-100 (might be the HTR-Z) on my "other car". I am not overly impressed. They're OK, but I think the AVS-intermediates on my 914 were better. And the Dunlop SP-8000s that are currently on the 914 are even better. Too bad the latter are no longer being made.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-05-2002, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

$38 for a tire - thats very cheap - My local
tire dealer recommended Perelli P6000. I had
the P600s on another car and did not care for
the tire at all. Think Ill pass on the Perellis. Just took a ride over to the stable ltd in gladstone nj with a buddie today to look at some classic cars. They had a truely mint
1970 911S with 67K on it. aside from the very lip of the nose having alot of stone chips, I couldnt get over the condition of the car. they wanted 36K for it. Was in Irish Green Black interior.
After seeing the rest of the car, the nose wasnt even an issue.
Also had a 330 ferrari coupe and spider. Amoung many many other really nice cars.
Anyway him and I were talking about tires - He was spending
like $350 per Michelin tire for his M3 - switched over to a Kumo for $100 something each - Says there is a very noticiable difference in the the tires ability to grip. Says there not bad but not up to the level of the Mich. So im kind of hessitant on buying inexpensive tires. My car currently has 9 or so year old yokos. There not bad - but alot of road noise and grip is ok - Hoping to find the "ultimate street tire" if there
is such a thing.

Thanks for all the feedback its been very helpfull

Tod

Last edited by tod914; 04-05-2002 at 04:47 PM..
Old 04-05-2002, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
The Sumitomo is an HTR-200...new and improved...I only have about 600 miles on them. I will give more feed back after the first AutoX...still. 38 bucks and it is a decent road tire.

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 04-06-2002, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: