Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Valence/Bursch exhaust question

Hi all,

After the exhaust tip rusted off of the muffler of my '71 1.7l, I replaced it with a second-hand Bursch. I like the sound & it seemed to perk up the performance a bit, but now my valence doesn't fit. The exhaust tip is a few inches inboard of the hole in the valence. Coupla questions:

1. Did I buy a BX1413 for late-style valence instead of a BX1403 for early-style valence?

2. Will a later valence fit my car w/o modifications to correct the misfit?

3. The Bursch makes a brief, gravely, almost rattly noise when dropping out of high RPMs. (I.e. rev the engine over 4k & let it drop back down to idle. Sounds a bit like a can full of coins.) Is this normal, or is this second-hand Bursch no good?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-04-2002, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had a Bursch on my 1974 1.8L with the standard rear valance and it fit perfectly. I suspect you have the wrong Bursch for your valance.

My Bursch had a rattly sound on deceleration. It was worse when I first installed it (i reused the same muffler gaskets). When I reinstalled with new gaskets it decreased significantly, but still rattled a bit. I think it's just characteristic of some of the mufflers.

I had stock L-jet, with a K&N filter, pertronix ignitor, and a bursch muffler. Probably added a total of about 7 or so horsepower, but it seemed to run stronger.

Regards,

Karl Ellzey
914-less
2001 Boxster
Old 04-04-2002, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Coupla things.

Yes, the valance can be changed to late style without further modification.

Use new metal gaskets purchased from PP, not paper ones.

Use correct exhaust nuts and bolts that won't rust or heat-expand.

Check your muffler bracket that hangs from the back of the tranny. Lots of rattles come along when that bracket is broken. And its almost always broken.

If it don't fit, take the Bursch off and "modify it", using a five pound hammer. I bent mine a good 3 inches to get it through the notch in the valance. But take it off and do it on the bench, don't wack it while its on the car, you will brak something.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I took mine to my local muffler shop. They hacked off the stock pipe and welded a new larger tailpipe, looks much better, fits thru my vlaence, and I'm sure the larger pipe was worth 1/2 horsepower. http://pelicanparts.com/swapmeet_pics/GermanAutoFest-01/Pic458.jpg
Here is a picture

Bee Jay
Old 04-05-2002, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help. I just had a local muffler shop extend the tail pipe per Bee Jay's suggestion. Seems to work just fine.

Mark
Old 04-06-2002, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: