Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Brakes

(snip)
From Zeke914
JP, can you elaborate on this a little. I have the S calipers for the front and M for the rear, but don't know which rotor to get or what mods needed. Yes, have the five stud hubs. What was the problem with the original rear calipers and S brakes? I have that set up too.

You might want to reply with a New Topic as this one is about upholstrey, car stands, engine lifts and brakes. TIA.
(snip)

The stock rear 914 brakes were just along for the ride.
I'm not exactly sure why.....piston size, pads, the adjustable proportion valve.....what ever, they were barely rearanging the rust on the rear rotors. The system was out of balance, and I couldn't get it in. The fronts were doing all the work.

As I recall (the directions are long gone), the porp valve I'm using
(Wilwood) delivers a maximum of 60% of the line pressure to the rears. My memory may be faulty here, but I had it fully open. If that is the case, it wasn't enough. I'd prolly been better off with a "T". I have "heard" that works.

Either way, I went to M rears and vented rotors.
One needs to either:
Put a spacer between the axle flange and rotor.
or
Put spacers between the caliper and caliper mounting points.

This centers the caliper on the rotor. The spacer needs to be about .200 thick.
Since the axle flange is used to center the rotor (axialy), I went with spacers between the cailpers & mounts. Needed to get longer caliper bolts (grade 10.9, as I recall).
One also needs new hard lines to the calipers.....12 inch
pre- mades are just right......no pic, go figure.

I have a nice set of stock rear calipers F/S........
Old 04-05-2002, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Anyone know what year(s) 911 rear rotor works with M caliper. better yet, the part #?
Old 04-05-2002, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

There are basically 2 types of M calipers / rotors that I know of...

1. Early 911 like 70 to 83
2. 84-89 Carrera M calipers that had a larger pistons and a wider gap (thicker spacers) for the thicker Carrera rotor.

There could be a 3rd type from the 911s that had Alum calipers.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sorry, Jim, that's not correct.

The "M" caliper was used on 911s from very early on (at least 1969, probably earlier) through about 1975. This steel caliper had 3" center-to-center spacing on the caliper mounting bolts. It was also used on the 914-6. A 911 catalogue (or 914-6 one) should have a part number listing.

The "S" caliper was aluminum and had a 3.5" center-to-center spacing on the mounting bolts. It was an option from about 1969 through 75 or so, and then became the only option until about 1979.

The "A" caliper was steel and had the 3.5" bolt spacing. It was used on all US-spec 911s from 1979 or 1980 up until the 964 platform (Carrera 2 / Carrera 4) was introduced.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-08-2002, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi JP

Well, I am just in the middle of the same project. Have you JP already solved the handbrake problem ??

Here are some pictures about my new rotors.

Dave, I think we were discussing about rear rotors. I think Jim is right. And, I think if you use 84-89 rotors in the rear of 914, you have to use spacers between calipers & mounts and rotors & hubs. With the older 69-83 rotor you have to use spacers only between calipers and mounts just like JP told. Am I right ?
Old 04-08-2002, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Re: Hi JP

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 914timo
[B]Well, I am just in the middle of the same project. Have you JP already solved the handbrake problem ??

Not exactly.......I did the time honored Porsche "Option Delete"
on em'. I'm not too thrilled by it, but there it is.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Dave,

Ok, let me clarify, what I should have said was the 3" spacing calipers have been used on the 911 from the early models to the 89 Carrera. Early cars had both front and rear calipers with 3" spacing. Then, the front spacing on the strut was change around 1976 to the 3.5 inch. Then in 1984, the Carrera had a rear caliper with 3" spacing and bigger pistons and a wider gap. Also, the 1984-89 3.5 inch calipers had a bigger gap for the wider front rotors.

What is in questions is did the 911 'S' have 3" alum calipers on the rear. The orginal post was interested installing 3" calipers on the rear of a 914.

So if one assumes that steel M calipers refers to 3" spacing, my statement is correct

914timo,

On my 914, I used the rear Carrera rotors with the rear Carrera calipers. All that was required was the spacer btwn the caliper and the mounting holes in the trailing arm. You could use earlier M calipers, but you would need to find a larger spacer btwn the two caliper halves. And nice 911 parking brake!

Last edited by Jim Smolka; 04-09-2002 at 06:36 AM..
Old 04-09-2002, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have planned to solve the handbrake problem with 911 parts. Everything seems to fit very well, but I have to make new cables.

And yes, I know, the brake shoes in this picture donŽt have friction bands.

Timo
914/6 SC 3.0L
Old 04-09-2002, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Oops, sorry--I misunderstood.

I don't know if the early 911S had aluminum rear calipers or not. I'm guessing "not", but it is just a guess.

And you're right; the rear-of-the-car version of the "M" calipers were used for a loooooong time.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-09-2002, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Timo,

Those e-brakes look great! What did you do to make the 911 stuff fit on the 914? That is what I am after.....well that and a center mount e-brake handle for e-brake turns!

Thanks,

Craig.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Craig,

Not much. Just some clearacing. And the bracket for brake shield must be removed. Here are before and after pictures.

The next step will be the difficultest. I should measure the old cables and determine how much longer cables I will need. The 911 handbrake will need different kind of ends too. If somebody have done this before and can help, I would be very happy any kind of information.

Timo
Old 04-09-2002, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the pix!

Do you by chance have any more pix as you put more pieces on...or is it as it appears - the 911 ebrake assembly is basically one piece that slips over and bolts on? The 'ear' that was ground off in the last set of pics....is that for the brake shield?

Thanks again!

Craig
Old 04-10-2002, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

More pix? Sorry, not jet. Only this one.

As I told before I am in the middle of this project right now. It is not ready, so I can not offer more pix.

The brake shoes already have new friction bands and I just get some new missing parts. So, I hope I will be able to put everything but the cables together in next weekend. The cables will be "the problem of the next week".

Timo

More about my projects you will find HERE
Old 04-10-2002, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

914timo; What kind of paint is that on your trailing arms?

I'm about to blast and paint my suspension parts and am looking for ideas/colors. A guy on e-bay painted his trailing arms and struts the color of the car and the rest of the parts black. It looks prety cool (out of the car). Por-15 in black is my default. My car is Signal Orange.
Thanks
Ed
Old 04-10-2002, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

914timo,

Nice work! Please keep us up to date on the parking brake installation.

What tools are you using for cutting and grinding?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-10-2002, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

This is a much repeated topic on this board.
My conversion to 911 parking brake was posted a while back. Search on the subject or user 'wilco' for details and pics. I have done exactly what Timo has and it works very well. The cable solution is to set up the 914 cable as normal, then the 911 cable as though you were using that, then tape them together well, remove and take the whole lot into a cable shop.
They simply make up a complete new cable. The end fittings were not exact but very, very close (like 90% the same). Originality has already gone out the window so it doesn't matter. With new cables you also get proper teflon sleeves that will never bind.

Good luck

Wilco.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Well, they are painted only with VHT Engine Enamels spray. I think the color was Dark Ford Blue (SP125), or something like that....

Tools.... I have only small Black&Decker belt sander and cut-off grinder. No special tools.

Thanks Wilco. I have been in contact to our local cable shop. I think thats exacty what I am going to do.

IŽll take my camera with me to the garage and try to take new pix. I hope I can show you some progress in couple of days.

Timo
Old 04-10-2002, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: