Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Hershey Pa. Swap Meet

I just returned from Hershey, [ first time] sure won't be the last.
Met great bunch of guys, never saw so many cool cars all in one place in my life. Thanks to everyone how took the time to stop and chew the ragwith me. mine was the black 914in the spit and shine. The orgainizers deserve a hand for there super human
effort. You guys who live in driving distance [ I drove 500 miles] be there next year. You won't regret it . Dave

Old 04-21-2002, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

hershey 914's

Dave,

Were there that many 914's at Hershey? I've never been before but will definitely go next year!

Alex
Old 04-22-2002, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hershey 914's

Alex, I didnt have time to count, but between the parking lot, guy's who just drove there,cars in the show and shine, and the for sale area, and vendors with cars for sale . you bring good walking shoes as it will take all day. That was just Sat. I couldn't stay for the Auto Cross on Sun so I nothing about numbers there. But bottom line is you won't be sorry. DAVE
Old 04-23-2002, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
hey barber dave...

Nice to meet you at the Hershey event. Glad to hear your trip home was smooth.

I counted, and videoed about 25 914's in various states of restoration, mutilation and decay...

...other than that there was the typical 911/356/ 68's 28's 44's there was at least 250 cars total.

I did pick up an NOS 2.0l muffler! made my day.

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 04-23-2002, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I was there as a vendor, hoping to put all the leftovers from my six conversion back into circulation. Like Dave, I was gratified by the comraderie among all us Porsche fanatics, and ran into a few of you fellow BBS'ers there. I didn't do any shopping myself (wanted to go home with LESS than what I came with), but my neighbor did and reported that there was a LOT more 914 presence this year.

Heads up to you guys planning to go next year: book your rooms well in advance, this show competes every year with some sort of military convention in Harrisburg (at least according to the hotel mgr); the hotel was completely sold out and they didn't even know about the swap meet at Hershey!

Also, there is a definite culture shift throughout the day. The pro's are out there first thing in the morning scooping up all the under-priced treasures and fast talking the newbies (ie me), so get there EARLY. Prices tend to soften as the day wears on ("I don't want to put this stuff back on the truck"), but you have balance the risk of your treasure being gone vs the price easing up. AND DON'T FORGET TO HAGGLE! The vendors expect it; we're not talking "my price or no price" here! I got a crash course in negotiation myself and enjoyed the whole thing.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I too will be back again. I was so overwelmed with all of the stuff for sale and the Porsche Parking, that I didn't buy a thing or take as many pics as I had planned. I also couldn't believe all of the interest in my airbrushed shirts. I'm only painting the shirts as a hobby to help fund my GT conversion and sold a ton there with a lot of interest in custom work that may come as orders later. I set up my stuff by 7 sold the first of my misc used parts a few minutes later. It seems that vendors scope out the good stuff before the puplic arives. I had a great time Saturday and for the few hours I sayed on Sunday. I figured there would have been more AX interest than there was though.

Nice to meet those that stopped by my space,
Old 04-23-2002, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i had a great time at Hershey and picked up some nice to have items, thanks to all you vendors!!! i am attempting to attach 2 pix; one of the 914s in the concours (there were alot more there than these) and one of a racer with an Audi engine that looked interesting.

bring more next year!!!!

Old 04-23-2002, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: