Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rear Suspension ??

I took my 73 to the auto-X on Sunday. Amazing car. Totally different drive than my 911.

I really haven't touched this car since I bought it. Thought I might change the oil before the event. In doing so, I saw the rear shocks both leak.
The old push on the bumper test showed the rear suspension, pretty soft. Is that just the shocks ? Or are the springs tired too ?
The 74 project car's rear suspension is real stiff in comparison.

The 73 has both front and rear sway bars. So I don't want to upset the way it handles. So from what I've read, I need to stay with 100 # springs if they're are needed.

I don't want to change the shocks and then have to come back and change the springs.
77 Carrera RS w/3.2 #59
73 914S 2.0 AG
73 914 1.7 Driver ( daily driver, under complete rustoration )
74 914 2.0, 71 914 Tub, 74 914 2.0 Tub + 73 914 donor
Old 04-25-2002, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would change both if they are origional. I just removed a pair of eibach 100# HD street springs and put 180# on my track car. They are about a year old with only 2 to 3 hundred miles on them. If you're interested I'd take $85 including shipping for them. Remember with thease springs, you will need a spring compressor to install them on the shock. good luck. Duane
Old 04-25-2002, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Duane,
Dumb question, but why do you need spring compressors to install the 100 lb springs? I took off a pair of 100 lb'ers to put on a set of 200 lb'ers and neither of them needed compressing to get them into or out of the car.

Is using a floor jack to push the trailing arm up (with the spring/shock combo attached) enough, or do you need more sophisticated tooling?

John
Old 04-25-2002, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I know the stock suspension was 100 pounds, but what type of stock suspension was put on the 73'? I looked under my car and saw "boge" on the rear shocks. Is that stock, and is the spring also boge?
Old 04-25-2002, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Boge shocks are stock. Good shocks, too.
The bounce test wil show shock wear. The shocks job is to stop that bounce. when pushed down, the spring should push the car back up and the shock should prevent it from bouncing at all. the bouncing does not indicate spring wear, but if you are changing shocks, and you don't know the age or rate of the springs, you better change them too.

the stock springs may need a compressor to get on or off, but the higher the number, the shorter the spring. Therefore 140# or 180# springs won't need a compressor to mount. Actually, its disconcerting when you first install them to see how much they hang loose!
When you are under there, use a zip strip to fasten both the top and bottom of the spring to the shock seat, where the spring should sit. You may need to drill a small hole when you do this. I had to on my KYB's. That way, whenever you jack up the car, the spring should relocate to the correct position when you lower it back down.

Not my trick. Someone here on this board told me this trick last year. It works well..

Last edited by rfoulds; 04-25-2002 at 01:24 PM..
Old 04-25-2002, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Duane, e-mail me. I can do that.
I have a spring compressor from my PL-510 days.

John, I've done that before too. But if you dork up the angle. You could knock it off the jack stands. If you have the entire car off the ground. Not A Pretty Picture ......

Talk to me about shock perches. The Boge have none. And the Bilsteins have slots for different heights ?
77 Carrera RS w/3.2 #59
73 914S 2.0 AG
73 914 1.7 Driver ( daily driver, under complete rustoration )
74 914 2.0, 71 914 Tub, 74 914 2.0 Tub + 73 914 donor
Old 04-25-2002, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Randy, thanks for the explanation on the springs hanging loose - I was shocked (!) to see my 200's just kinda hanging there when I put 'em on. Granted, if I had to compress the springs, I'd do that floor jack trick VERY carefully. BTW, how do you get the spring with a compressor(s) on it up into those rear spring tower tubes???

The Bilsteins I have on the back have a series of grooves carved in the shock tube, you snap a ring in one of them, and the spring perch (at least the flavor that I have) sits on the ring while simultaneously trapping it. So the ring is a "coarse adjustment" and the threads on the perch is the "fine adjustment". I understand there are as many spring perch designs as there are vendors; my corner-balancer said he had never seen the one I'm using (from Patrick Motorsports).
Old 04-25-2002, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Summersledsix, In order to change the springs properly, you remove the shock assembly from the car. Compress the spring. Then remove the threaded nut on top. Some shocks have the adjustments at the bottom, but after being hit in the head by a flying spring, I learned that I will only do spring removal on my workbench. The only adjustments I would do on your car without removing the shock assembly is to screw the threaded part (AT THE BOTTOM) for minor adjustments. good luck.

Last edited by piperpilotduane; 04-29-2002 at 05:14 AM..
Old 04-26-2002, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The stock springs are actually anything from 60 lbs up to 90 lbs, according to one old Panorama article. Not sure why the differences, but there were 3 or 4 different ones. Most people accept the 100 lb rate as "stock", though.

Not all aftermarket springs are too short; some of the 100s are and some are not.

The threaded section at the top is not an adjustment, it is how the spring is retained on the shock. If you want analog-type adjustment, get the Koni or Bilstein shocks and then get the "coil-over" threaded-collar lower spring perch. The Koni and Bilstien give you three-position adjustment (using a snap-ring) even without the threaded-collar bit, and that's enough for most people.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-26-2002, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: