Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Joes Hershey Emergency Update

So those of you that have been following my saga. I had just finished my 2056 the day before Hershey, Ran awesome for the trip up to Hershey, untill i snapped the head of of an intake pushrod tube on #3. Then it was not running so well. I adjusted the valve turning the screw all the way in and got the adjustment for the ride home.

The cause of the problem was "ME" skimping on the pushrods and putting the aluminum rods where the chromo;y rods should have been.

I dropped the car @ Translog GT the next day and Tony has since orderd the chromoly rods, cut them to fit, and decided to open it back up and inspect everything. as of now I am just waiting to hear the news....

hopefully I dodged the bullet.

Lesson learned.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

a picture is worth a hundred words

Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

hoping all is well inside the case....after all the work (and cash) you put into it!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
That looks a lot like someone didn't seat the pushrod tube retaining wire correctly. The wire will rub on the pushrod, and since the wire is steel and the pushrod is aluminum, you can guess what happens.

Chromoly rods would have just postponed this, or turned it into a broken wire retainer going through your engine.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-10-2012, 01:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
That looks a lot like someone didn't seat the pushrod tube retaining wire correctly. The wire will rub on the pushrod, and since the wire is steel and the pushrod is aluminum, you can guess what happens.

Chromoly rods would have just postponed this, or turned it into a broken wire retainer going through your engine.

--DD
good guess, but the wear that you see is actually the tip of the rod that was laying in the tube next to it while i drove home 50+ miles.

that ride home could have been a lot worse.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm glad your going to open it up, smart. I think I saw that pic but then did not know what transpired after that. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

No good news yet.

The timing that i kept f%ng with and could not get right was because of the wires wich did not fit properly into the cap. Tony said that the cap I used was not a 914 cap, not sure what it was. (I have no idea where I got it) and this caused a detonation condition, coupled with me changing the timing every 20 miles or so.

bottom line three 96mm kb pistons are messed up, after 200 miles. They will be replaced, and the good news (I guess) was that the fourth piston is o.k. (YAY) that would be the piston with the sheered off pushrod on the intake side...

uuuugg charlie brown

i am sad, another 300 bucks lost but it could have been much worse. I am lucky still. Hope Tony can get it back together sometime next week.

Joseph Sayre
Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Damn Joe! Good news that you nailed it, though. You've been shot at 'n missed and **** at 'n hit, buddy. Good luck with this one
Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
So did I get this right? New pushrods, 3 new pistons, and a distributor cap for $300? Isn't that what it would have cost from the get go to install the right stuff? I say BIG bullet dodged, cheap lesson learned!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone track project
'12 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infraredcalvin View Post
So did I get this right? New pushrods, 3 new pistons, and a distributor cap for $300? Isn't that what it would have cost from the get go to install the right stuff? I say BIG bullet dodged, cheap lesson learned!
not quite,

I did start with a brand new set of KB Pistons, and Chromoly pushrods. I had cut one pushrod too short, and decided to throw the stock aluminum one in so I could throw the engine in and get to Hershey the next day.

I rushed the job, and learnend my lesson

The pistons are damaged because the timing was never right, the timing was never right because the wires were not seated in the cap, and the fact that i kept changing the timing. Heck, i changed it 3 times while at the show. The pushrod snapped because i am using a performance webcam with all new matching components. Those aluminum rods should never have gone in there.

all this destruction and %^#$ could have been avoided if I didnt rush the job at the end. The lesson was learned.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 05-16-2012, 05:07 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: