Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 hell hole, battery tray, trunk pivots..Before and after

Well this along with a bunch of other little stuff is why the motorcycle lift was needed..

Old 07-06-2012, 03:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice work!

John
81 911 SC
99 986 & other misc street rides
Old 07-06-2012, 07:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice work!

I like the new fuel lines to. Where did you get those?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Very very nice work.
1971 914-6 #0372
2010 997 C4S
Old 07-07-2012, 05:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thanks, didn't turn out too shabby huh.. i didn't plan on painting the whole engine compartment but doing one side made the rest look terrible so i had to do the whole thing.

the ss fuel lines in the engine compartment as well as the center tunnel are from pelican. the old fuel lines were in pretty good shape and probably didn't actually need to be replaced but if the battery acid over the years did that much damage to all that sheetmetal i figured the plastic lines might be suspect.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
very nice .. I am starting the same repair on my 73 .. in fact the color of mine is the same a yours .. any other info you can provide on your steps would be great ...

Steve
Old 07-07-2012, 03:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

hey steve,
i can't really sit here and write up all the details that went into this but here's a brief overview of how things went for me..
i had someone help me remove the engine, this was my first time doing so and if i didn't have someone who had done it before it would not have been so easy. once it was out tins and fan housing were removed and send to sandblaster, replaced leaking seals on engine, clean and degrease more than i'd would have liked to, put in shift bushing kit, stainless steel fuel lines, new rubber fuel lines, new fuel injector seals and rubber boots, painted intake runners with hi temp manifold paint, paint tins and fan housing, put engine back together. grind, chisel, cut rusty metal, old battery tray, support and trunk hinges. grind, cut, grind, por15 metal ready a bunch to convert some of the rust. i also had to have help with the welding. i don't have a welder or know how to weld (well i didn't before all of this anyways). patches, support and new battery tray welded in. i measured and drilled holes for jwest trunk hinges. prepped, primed, painted entire engine compartment. my local body shop supply mixed up spray cans of paint for me and i use aluminum foil to mask things, it works very well for this. engine went back in and there were lots of things that needed tweaking but it's running again and it sure does look pretty in there now.
i learned so much this month and know more about this car now than i ever thought possible in such a short time. there is so much more that went into this, i'm not a writer or an expert but i'd be happy to answer any questions.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Very Nice Work. congrgulations!!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Engine removal required?

I need to do mine.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Take a look at the pictures. Then take a look in your engine bay. If you can do the welding without dropping the engine, go for it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete000 View Post
Engine removal required?

I need to do mine.

i have done this kind of job enough to believe that this kind of rust repair is easier if you pull the motor. Also i generally will end up wanting to paint all the engine tin pieces, spray the whole engine bay,and make a bigger project out of what maybe it needs to be. yes you can do it with the engine in the car, but it might be more work that way, and do you really want the engine exposed to all that sanding dust and grit?

Access is improved with the motor out to the point that you can generaly achieve nicer, neater welds and better finish work.

PS PeteOOO Please show some photos of your Microbus, way cool , them Busses are.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Using aluminum foil is an old body shop trick and it works very well to cover things you don't want to get paint on.
1971 914-6 #0372
2010 997 C4S
Old 08-01-2012, 05:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

i would imagine trying to do all of this would be exponentially more difficult with the engine in the car. in fact i don't see it happening at all. i spent a good deal of time where the engine normally sits and i don't think i would have been able to do some of the things that needed to be done without bending my body in places where it doesn't bend or possibly shrinking down to the size of a gi joe
Old 08-05-2012, 07:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Old 08-05-2012, 07:33 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: