Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

new 914 owner with issues

so the other day i picked up a 76 well 12/75 so anyway i was told it was bored out to a 2.1L? it has weber carbs on it i was told 44s however i saw on here that they are actually 36's so the problem is that it idles like crap and yes i have checked for leaks and it dosnt want to idle down when i have been driving and come to a stop light. the dist in it has no vacuum advance on it and i have no idea what i am doing as i have never owned a flat 4 with dual carbs on it... any help would be greatly appriciated i love in Tacoma, wa if anyone wants to give me a hand or just wants to hang out and find an excuse to waste gas.....

please be gentle i have no idea what the hell im doing on this motor my 924 was simple to work on this not so much......

i realize its an old car but i was told it was rebuilt and punched out with the carbs yet if it was ever FI all the stuff is gone out of the engine bay.. so i guess i will work with what i have i figured it would have alittle more power i did pull one spark plug it was a ngk and it looked like maybe it was lean?

please help!!!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
1st check that timing is correct. go to the tech page here for 914's and there is a how to.

Then get the carbs synched the article is also here

Pelican Parts - 914 Technical Articles

the 36 size on the carb I bet is the stamp to are seeing in the venturi and that is about right for 44 IDF's the size of the carb is stamped on the side and it's tough to see while the carb is in the car.

Distributor does not need vacuum advance because it is all mechanical and you wouldn't be able to get a good vacuum signal from a carb speically if it has a cam in the motor.

If where you bought the car has different weather than where you are now then jetting will be different.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

yeah the part number on webers is real small and stamped on the rim of the base, where it bolts to the manifold. very hard to see when in the car.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

can someone post up pics on were the springs go for the carbs and the throttle linkage bar that controls them? it still wants to hang at a higher idle and i cant figure out why.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

there are a variety of different carb linkages on these cars, none are factory (four cylinder) maybe you can post a photos and we can help figure how best to install springs. I run FI on my 914 so I cant provide a photo to you of linkage.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: