Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sloppy Shifting... Can this stop?

We all know the 914 has sloppy shifting.... I have driven every car from a Yugo to a Ferrari Dino and I never have been so paranoyed about upshifting downshifting and nipping those transmission gear teeth.... is ther any way to guide that shifter to avoid grinding? Thank you for any help!!!
Old 05-23-1999, 04:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, you can get good shifting, but you have to replace all the nylon bushings in the shiftrod setup, and be sure the motor and trans mounts are in good shape. If you have a sideshifting transmission, it should become acceptable. the shortshift kit won't cure the sloppyness by itself, only make the shifting harder.
Old 05-23-1999, 09:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

In addition to the bushings on the shift rod, be sure to replace the cup bushing the ball fits into on the transmission. You might want to consider the heavier shifter springs that will prevent nicking reverse when shifting from 1st to 2nd.
Old 05-24-1999, 07:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
All good suggestions. Another thing to try is changing your shifting technique. Try shifting a little bit slower. I take as long as a second to change gears, sometimes. Of course, when I'm "in the heat of battle" (autoX or time trial) I don't quite take *that* long, but I do try to shift relatively slowly. (Trade-offs--a couple of tenths of lap time, or that much closer to a grand worth of tranny repairs... Hmmm...)

Try matching the revs on upshifts as well as downshifts. If you can get close, the synchros don't have to work so hard and the gears won't crunch as loudly. Double-clutch all downshifts.

Right before I had my tranny rebuilt, I needed to double-clutch *upshifts* as well. Not sure if the double-clutching helped itself, or the fact that I took a lot longer to shift and was more careful about matching revs that way. And my tranny was *really* bad at that point...

--DD
Old 05-24-1999, 05:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have had my share of trany shifting problems, Ive got a tail shifter, I found like the others that replaceing the nylon bushings are just the begining, after replacing all the bushings and the cup, I made an additional bracket and added a bushing between the shifter bushing and the firewall bushing, This additional mount gave me that little extra percision I needed, I still had shifting problems going into reverse a small grind, This was solved by adjusting the clutch cable tension, then I was still having a little troube smoothly shifting into 2nd, I replaced the lockout springs with heavy duty ones so I dont "nick" rev, but still found I was forcing it into 2nd, I then adjusted the linkage length at the inspection plate and gave my shift linkage a 1/2 cm more leverage, I now feel each gear, and am very happy with my shifting, each gear "clicks" right into place with very little effort, all this and it only took 37 adjustments of the linkage to get there, but Im there....

good luck
Old 05-25-1999, 09:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Old 05-25-1999, 09:55 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: