Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stuff on inside of door panels?

I'm stripping down some door panels for our race car, and cut out the inner sheetmetal to make room for closing around the roll cage. I then noticed there is this stuff on the inside of the outer panel- looks like some sprayed on sound deadening material. It is factory-done. I took a scraperd to it and it comes off exposing it to be a silver/gray-colored hard paste.

I haven't seen sound damping material like this before. The color and density got me thinking- this isn't some sort of lead-based material is it? Just wondering, for my health's sake when removing it...
Old 05-14-2013, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
King Broinyo

It's probably asbestos.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I removed the same thing while rebuilding a few doors. Heat gun worked great and a large putty knife. I don't even want to guess what that stuff is made of and wore protetion just to be sure.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: