Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
New victim getting in too deep too early!

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I am a big VW fan, and always wanted to own an old aircooled...and through some wierd circumstances, I got my wish, just not what I expected! Last week I bought a '76 914..wow me? A Porsche? I just love the idea of this car, and it's been a lot of fun getting to know it.

That is until Monday night, when a terrible noise started eminating from the engine, along with a loss of power. Investigation revealed that it suffered a dropped valve seat (intake, #1 cylinder). Luckily a VW friend of mine has almost the exact same motor in his '70 Beetle, and we have been having a pretty good time pulling the motor, thanks totally to the great instructions here on Pelican.

As you can imagine my wife is a bit perturbed, but since I keep it in a fellow enthusiasts garage, out of sight out of mind for now!

Hopefully we can get this resolved in short order and be cruising again!

Looking forward to soaking up some of the great knowledge I've seen on the board!

2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 07-26-2002, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Welcome to the list!
Send the heads to Jake Raby to get rebuilt right so it doesn't happen again. Next, why did it happen?
Tell us about the car, FI or Carbs? Mmmmm, a 76 the best year!
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 07-26-2002, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send the heads to Jake Raby to get rebuilt right so it doesn't happen again.

Hey there, welcome! I wont speak for Jake, but if he is as busy as I think he is, it might be a while before he could get to it. There are some really adequate head rebuilders on here, and I am sure that many people on this forum can vouch for their favorite rebuilder.

FAT does ok work, provided you double and triple check everything. Peformance Technologies is at your own risk (NC). Headflow Masters is really good, but provided you can wait a little bit, as Adrian is really swamped. My heads are there being freshened up at the moment.

Just ask around. You'll be sure to have a list a mile long in no time of shops to call :-)

Take care,

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Old 07-26-2002, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks..

My aforementioned friend works with Jake with issues regarding his TIV engine, and we have already talked to him. My plan is to use him, dependent on his work load.

From the docs I've read (the prior owner had REALLY good records), my motor has been bored to 2.2, with an aftermarket cam, and it's running dual webers due to the cam and also that the prior owner did not want to mess with FI. The interior is original, with the exception of an aftermarket gauge cluster and radio, along with a aftermarket rool bar and racing harness (looks cool, kinda inconvienent for daily driving). Only a few small patches of surface rust creating bubbles through the paint, the underside is absolutely fantastic! I put up some pics on the site here, they are replicated from my imagestation site ( http://www.imagestation.com , search for bludden under members).

I love the sound of the engine, and find the car pretty comfortable for a 70's vintage sports car. I want to try to reduce the wobble in the steering wheel after I hit a bump, and massage the transmission a bit. Also, is 1st supposed to be syncronized in these cars? Mine isn't...

Thanks for the responses and advice!
Old 07-26-2002, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
1st check your clutch (and roll pin in pedal linkage) and yes, there's supposed to be 1st gear synchro but that's usually the first to go ( go to tech article on this and complete rebuild instructions are coming soon I hear).
Old 07-27-2002, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Good to know...

The Haynes manual seemed to say that it was (syncro 1st gear). Last night around 9 we got the engine out of the car, so hopefully by this weekend we'll have it opened up. I'll be making up a parts list of stuff we need, so I'll look inot this stuff as well. Having a 1st gear syncro will definitely make it easier to drive!
Old 07-27-2002, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Yes, the first gear syncro takes alot of abuse mostly from mis-adjusted clutches. It is easy to replace the first gear syncro with a new one. Also check the condition of the dog teeth and first gear slider for excessive wear.
Check Red Beards recent posts about tranny repairs including second gear syncro fixes as that one usually is worn out too!
Geoff

Old 07-27-2002, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: