Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Smoke from the muffler...

Just installed a new Bursch muffler on my 2.0, along with new gaskets (of course). At the same time I put new gaskets on the intake manifolds. When I started it up, I got pretty thick white smoke from the right side of the muffler, where the muffler bolts to the exhaust headers. It doesn't smell at all like oil, but almost like something burning (like plastic). Any ideas?

Joe
'74 2.0

Old 07-28-2002, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

paint, the collecter area will lighten up too. joe keeping your car out of the rain?
Old 07-28-2002, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I was hoping it was something like that. It kinda smelled like paint, but I couldn't figure out why there would be paint burning off. Thanks.

And no, my poor Porsche is out in the rain all the time. The up side is that I never have to wonder if the seals are good; I know pretty much immediately when they're leaking.

Thanks again
Joe
'74 2.0
Old 07-28-2002, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Chaps my ass to see a new muffler setup burn its crappy paint off and rust within 10 days of owning it.

How many people would buy a SSI 914 2.0 muffler ??

Raise your hand.

B
Old 07-28-2002, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

See one hand raised - as long as the price is not crazy. In line with similar 911 SS muffler would be appropriate.

Old 07-29-2002, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Me too

I would love it if those guys at BORLA would make some more of those units for our little cars. All port matched and ready to run maybe dual outlets.
Could go a little louder my nieghbor over slept the other day waiting for my 928 to roll out of the garage. the Bursch on my 914 just is too quiet
Old 07-29-2002, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
B, depends on the specifics of the muffler. We already sell a stock-equivalent (or near-equivalent) in SS, but it aint cheap.... Something like a Bursch (merged four-two-one or four-into-one) would have some demand, but if its priced above about $400 youll have problems getting folks like the CSOBOSC to buy it. And probably others as well.

Some design work with dyno charts to show power increases on stock motors ought to help sales some, but price is gonna be a really major factor. We are 914 owners, after all...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-29-2002, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

$400 beans for the equivilant of another bursch? thanks anyway but i'll pass. i'm counting my penny's for a triad unit. if you can believe dyno curves (not just theirs, anyones) it seems to be the real deal, nice exh note too. there are other units that are said to produce power but the eliminate the heat exhs. it's not just heat, i have to have defrosters too. my heating system in the cursed 72', ss exch good and sealed up tin would warp vinyl records. and i believe it's less exspensive, the triad that is.

kevin
Old 07-29-2002, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

When I removed my Bursch after several years of use I was surprised by the paint that remained on the muffler and tail pipe. The four primaries up to the muffler, the part you see from the rear of the car, all had the classic Bursch rust finish. Structurally the unit was still solid though. My new Mittlemotor SS looks better!

Mike
Old 07-29-2002, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
We already sell a stock-equivalent (or near-equivalent) in SS,
Where? For a 4 cyl?
Old 07-29-2002, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

You might want to try POR-15 hi temp manifold grey. I used some on both our stock 914 muffler and it lasted over 2 years and also on the race car muffler which has lasted about 3 years.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I've tried a muffler paint on my stock 2.0 muff and got BIG flaking. How did you apply the POR-15 and where di you get it? Who makes it?
Old 07-30-2002, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Hunh! Sorry, I must be mis-remembering on the SS version of the OE muffler! I thought I remembered that from the catalog, but it isn't there now...

POR-15 has their own website. I think it's http://www.por15.com .

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-30-2002, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

As Dave noted, POR-15 paints are available from their website by mail. I follow their instructions exactly for which ever product I am using and I think it was remove all loose rust/paint, bruch to remove rust then appply a smooth even coat. After it is dry to the touch you have to bake it usually by running the engine and letting it cool but I don't rememberfor how long? I think there are a few others here that can verify that POR-15 products are pretty good. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Ditto on the POR-15 Hi Temp Manifold gray...

Worked well for me and was a lot cheaper than new parts... SS or not...

- Dave... member CSOBOSC
Old 07-30-2002, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I used POR-15 on my bursch muffler (grey rust converter covered with their glossy black). It looked real nice but it too started smoking as soon as I started it up....It eventually peeled off but I think that the grey rust converter is still on. The POR-15 does not come off the muffler though (this runs cooler).

I used POR-15 high temp paint and it still came off. It is only rated for around 600deg. (But like most high temp paints, i think you need to bake it on to get this protection) I still recommend it though as it stays on the muffler (it also looks great on engine tin).

Justin
74 914 1.8
Old 07-31-2002, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Not a Bursch replacement. A brand new all Stainless Steel replacement banana muffler like the stock one with a different note and a little more flow.

News Flash:

The Dansk mufflers are steel inside and SS on the outside. They rust from the inside out.

The plan is to offer a new muffler in the 300$ price range retail.

The early 911's and 914's used the same muffler with different inlets.

B
Old 07-31-2002, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Sounds good to me...
Old 07-31-2002, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Fixtures and dies are done. Flanges and baffles are currently be revamped.

The quality will rival everything else you have seen from a certain manufacturing company.

Look for Pelican to offer it before anybody else.

I would like highly detailed photo's of Mittelmotor muffler.

Specifically the build quality and finish.

B

Old 07-31-2002, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: