Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

overheating odometer

this post is meant to be a joke for all to enjoy, but this actually occurs with my car. the odometer doesn't work occasionally and i have associated that with change in temperature. like this morning, (nice cool spring temps, car in garage overnight) i drove to work, the odometer clicked off the miles. with the car in the parking lot under the sun, this afternoon when i leave, the odometer will not register. i don't care about the problem but wanted to be the first to post another but original 914 problem and hopefully provide a few chuckles!!!!

Old 06-11-1999, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you'll pardon me for taking your post seriously, I would bet that this is just the standard odometer failure. A very unusual stage to be sure! But it sounds very likely that the pot-metal gear is starting to spin on its shaft rather than being turned by the shaft. The potmetal expands more than the steel shaft when both warm up, but just a little bit more.

See Pelican's article on odometer repair, or check my article which is available on the 914 Fan Page.

--DD
Old 06-11-1999, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
having just fixed my own odometer (thanks to dave's article) i've got a tips when it comes to the attaching of the potmetal gear. Instead of trying to file the steel shaft for some grip.. or gluing it on, taka pair of vise-grip, clamp it down and tighten the opening around the end of the steel shaft until it's snug. Then open up the vise-grip and turn the knob on the vicegrip one full turn, clamp it back on the end of the shaft (clamp it so the shaft is perpendicular to the vice-grip) this will give you a nice texture that the potmetal gear won't slip on.. and will still allow you to slip it through the number dials freely.

you might not care about the odometer now.. but will probably miss it when it's gone..
Old 06-11-1999, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
sorry Wayne.. i used both pelican's and 914fan's article.. and dave's came to mind first.. but yes.. thank you wayne..
Jeff
Old 06-11-1999, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
When I fixed my odometer for the first time, I did the same thing Oredith did. I used a pair of needle-nosed pliers that had teeth in the jaws. I put the shaft in the pliers, and LEANED hard on the handles. That put grooves and ridges in the shaft, and the gear no longer spun on the shaft.

--DD

Old 06-11-1999, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: