Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest temp gauge sender wire

Hey guys, does anyone know where the wire from the oil temp sender to the guage on the center console go's, was pulled from the top of the engine when engine was pulled from car?

"I like the way she doesn't move in the curve's... and then she let's go!"
Old 07-31-2002, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If I read the question correctly:

The wire runs from the sending unit under the engine to a tab mounted to one of the bolts that holds the oil cooler bracket. Then plugs into a wire that is normally fed through the throttle cable hole.

B
Old 07-31-2002, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thank you for the info

75' 2'0 w Ljet

Old 07-31-2002, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

i just posted a similar question(sort of). i want to put the one on the engine i'm taking out, back on the replacement engine that does'nt have one. do the wires unplug after you drain the oil and remove the cover? i DO NOT want to screw this item up. whats the story?

kevin
"pulling a greasy pig of a motor"

Last edited by Kevin Powers; 07-31-2002 at 08:13 PM..
Old 07-31-2002, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Kevin, I believe it can be done either way but, that it has to be disconnected before the engine is dropped, which is the mistake I made.

75' 2.0 w Ljet

Old 08-01-2002, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The wire connect to a green wire coming off the main wire harness near the FI brain.

Justin
Old 08-01-2002, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
There's also another wire holder that goes on one of the oil filler flange studs.

You can unplug the sender from the wire, but you have to remove the "taco plate" first. (Called that because of the shape the thing assumes when you overtighten the two bolts.) I was not able to feed the wire and connector back through the rubber boot, so I pulled the boot off the taco plate. Well, actually ripped the boot in half and bought a new one. Then had to cut the wire to get the new boot on it.... Grrr....

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-01-2002, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

dave, that is precisely what i want to avoid . thanks all. i'm preparing my shopping list for pelican (new cables and a few other bits and ends). my aim to spend as little time UNDER the car as i can after the swap.do you think they have the gaskets and spring washers?

kevin
Old 08-01-2002, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Crush washers, different from spring washers.

I'm not sure if the gaskets are available anymore or not. I have heard of people just cutting them out of magazine pages or some such; the one I got a few years back was quite thin.

The crush washers are standard parts. We'll carry them, but they'll probably be available from your local metric parts source too.

Best way to figure prices and availability is to call 888/280-7799 and talk to the guys in Sales. Or you can email Tom Gould who handles most of the mail-in orders.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-02-2002, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

worst case, i'll replace after the swap, not my first choise. will investigate this one thoroughly before i start to install.

kevin
"what have i got my self into this time!?"
Old 08-03-2002, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: